Where did the blue box vector come from in the vector multiplication problem?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of a vector triple product using the equation RAO = b(Sinβj+Cosβk). The person is unsure where the blue box in the calculation came from, but it is likely that they are calculating the vector \frac{\mathbf{\omega} \times \mathbf{r}_{AO}}{b}. They recommend double-checking the calculation due to a missing factor in the equation.
influx

Homework Statement

b98fa7.png

Homework Equations

RAO = b(Sinβj+Cosβk)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The box in red is ω. However I am unsure of where they got the box in blue from? As mentioned above, RAO = b(Sinβj+Cosβk) so not sure where they got the box in blue from? I know of the vector triple product: A x (B x C) = (A•C)B - (A.B)C, but this isn't what they've done?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
influx said:

Homework Statement

b98fa7.png

Homework Equations

RAO = b(Sinβj+Cosβk)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The box in red is ω. However I am unsure of where they got the box in blue from? As mentioned above, RAO = b(Sinβj+Cosβk) so not sure where they got the box in blue from? I know of the vector triple product: A x (B x C) = (A•C)B - (A.B)C, but this isn't what they've done?

Thanks

I would assume that they are doing the obvious thing, ie. calculating [itex]\mathbf{\omega} \times \mathbf{r}_{AO}[/itex] first, and given the presence of a scalar factor of [itex]b[/itex] (which goes missing in the second line before reappearing in the third) the vector in the blue box must therefore be [tex]\frac{\mathbf{\omega} \times \mathbf{r}_{AO}}{b}.[/tex] (Although given that something did go missing partway through I would recommend double-checking this.)

Last edited:

Related to Where did the blue box vector come from in the vector multiplication problem?

What is vector multiplication?

Vector multiplication is a mathematical operation where two vectors are multiplied to produce a new vector. There are two main types of vector multiplication: dot product and cross product.

What is the difference between dot product and cross product?

The dot product of two vectors results in a scalar quantity, while the cross product results in a vector quantity. Additionally, the dot product is commutative (order does not matter), while the cross product is not commutative.

What is the purpose of vector multiplication?

Vector multiplication is used to calculate the angle between two vectors, determine if two vectors are perpendicular, and to find the projection of one vector onto another. It is also used in various physical and mathematical applications such as in mechanics and geometry.

What are some properties of vector multiplication?

Some properties of vector multiplication include the distributive property, associative property, and scalar multiplication property. Vector multiplication is also not commutative, meaning the order in which the vectors are multiplied matters.

Is vector multiplication the same as scalar multiplication?

No, vector multiplication involves multiplying two vectors, while scalar multiplication involves multiplying a vector by a scalar (a single number). Vector multiplication results in a vector, while scalar multiplication results in a scalar.