Where do the 'bars' in a barred spiral come from?

• Thread starter Stark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spiral
In summary, the bars in barred spiral galaxies are not the result of a high speed ejection, but are instead the result of a rotationally instability.
Stark
I was wandering what the general belief of why barred spiral galaxies, contain 'bars' as straight lines in nature are pretty rare. To my untrained and unqualified eye, it clearly looks - on all the photographs that I've seen - as if there are two 'bars' being emitted from the opposite sides of a small disk at the galactic core. This seems to suggest to me that they are the product of an extremely high speed ejection (hence the straight lines).

My rather modest collection of literature makes no reference to this.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't know anything about galaxies... but from a naïve point of view we can rule out your hypothesis: ejections would form spirals.

The current explanation is that a density wave radiated out from the center of the galaxy and it changed the orbits of the stars orbiting it.

Hurkyl said:
I don't know anything about galaxies... but from a naïve point of view we can rule out your hypothesis: ejections would form spirals.
I didn't really mean an ejection in the form of say, a blender with it's lid removed continually throwing its contents out, but more a body of mass restricted by it's own gravity that was getting denser and therefore faster in its rotation until its contents could achieve the escape velocity causing an extremely fast ejection.

An interesting talk in the link posted by Chronos. The question of the bars in barred spirals has, as the talk details, a long and interesting history and remains unsolved. We do have a reasonable idea, but haven't got all the details worked out yet.

We do know from observering the rotational velocties of the different parts of barred spirals that they are not high speed ejections such as proposed by Stark, in fact they basically rotate at the same rate as the rest of the galaxy. They are almost certainly due to some kind of rotationally instability causing a density wave in the galaxies rotation, but it is the origin of this that is not so certain. It is due to a merger, with another galaxy or some internal process for instance?

My final year Physics project was looking at the distribution of gas in barred spiral galaxies and as a result I came across the same question. I found this issue quickly became very complex, as simply as I can describe, it is the result of what is known as a Non-axisymmetric potential. This is just means the gravitational potential isn't symmetrical about one axis. This could be due to another galaxy nearby in a cluster or one which is merging. It gets hairy from here on in...and needs some intense maths which I can't really type in here. Simply you can think of it as a galaxy nearby giving a tug each time the star orbits. If you want a proper explanation I'd refer you to "Binney & Tremaine : Galactic dynamics", a very good book if you don't mind some maths. Look at chapter 3.3 it explains it all very thoroughly :)

Related to Where do the 'bars' in a barred spiral come from?

1. What causes the formation of bars in a barred spiral galaxy?

The bars in a barred spiral galaxy are formed due to a gravitational instability caused by the rotation of the galaxy. As the galaxy rotates, the stars and gas within it experience differential rotation, meaning that the inner parts of the galaxy rotate faster than the outer parts. This creates a torque that causes the gas and stars to move inwards, forming a bar shape.

2. How common are barred spiral galaxies?

Barred spiral galaxies are actually quite common in the universe, with estimates suggesting that about two-thirds of all spiral galaxies have a bar structure. This includes our own Milky Way galaxy, which is classified as a barred spiral galaxy.

3. Can bars in a barred spiral galaxy disappear over time?

Yes, it is possible for the bar in a barred spiral galaxy to disappear over time. This can occur due to interactions with other galaxies, which can disrupt the bar structure, or due to internal processes such as the formation of new stars or the accretion of gas. However, bars are also known to re-form in some galaxies, so the presence or absence of a bar can change over time.

4. Do all barred spiral galaxies look the same?

No, not all barred spiral galaxies look the same. The size, shape, and orientation of the bar can vary greatly between different galaxies. Some bars are short and stubby, while others are long and thin. Additionally, the spiral arms of a barred spiral galaxy can also differ in appearance, with some being tightly wound and others being more loosely wound.

5. Can bars affect the evolution of a galaxy?

Yes, bars can play a significant role in the evolution of a galaxy. The gravitational forces created by a bar can trigger the formation of new stars and influence the flow of gas within the galaxy. This can ultimately impact the overall structure and appearance of the galaxy over time. Additionally, the presence of a bar can also affect the orbits of stars and potentially lead to the creation of other structures within the galaxy, such as rings or spiral arms.