Where Do Two Bouncing Balls Meet?

• Thread starter pmd28
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balls
In summary, Bob releases two balls from a height H and assuming the first ball bounces perfectly, they will meet at a height of 3H/4 from the ground. This can be determined using vertical motion equations where both balls have the same initial velocity and acceleration due to gravity. The first ball is released from the top with an initial velocity of 0, while the second ball is released from the bottom with kinetic energy equal to mgh, which can be converted to an initial velocity. Using this, the balls will meet at a height of 3H/4 from the ground.
pmd28
Bob has two balls. He releases one ball from a platform of height H. Just as that ball strikes the ground he releases the next ball from the same height H. Assuming that the first ball bounces perfectly, (i.e. reversing only the direction of its velocity when it strikes the ground), at what height from the ground do the balls strike each other?
a) H/4
b) h/2
c) h/3
d) 3H/4
e) none of the above

the answer is d

I thought that when the first ball strikes the ground it has a momentary velocity of zero. And since it bounces "perfectly" it should return with the same velocity it was released with therefore the ball that was released would have the same kinematic properties. ergo they should meet in the middle. I'm so confused.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use vertlcal motion for both downward and upward direction balls.
2 equations 2 unknown, y and t.

Last edited:
azizlwl said:
Use vertlcal motion for both downward and upward direction balls.
2 equations 2 unknown, y and t.

So for ball 1 (the ball that is returning up) my variables are:
v= (dunno, I think they would be the same for both.)
v(initial)= 0
t=?
a=g
y=?

and variables for ball 2 are the same. And when I solve the equation i still get H/2

It is a 1D motion
One from top with y0=H, v0=0
On from bottom, with kinetic energy of equal mgh. You can convert this to v0.

Hi there,

I can provide a response to this question. The correct answer is d) 3H/4.

To understand why this is the correct answer, we need to first understand the concept of conservation of energy. When the first ball is released from the platform at height H, it has a certain amount of potential energy due to its position above the ground. As it falls, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, and when it strikes the ground, all of its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. However, due to the perfect bounce, the kinetic energy is conserved and the ball bounces back up to its original height H.

Now, when the second ball is released from the same height H, it also has the same amount of potential energy. However, it is released at the exact same time that the first ball is returning to its original height. This means that the second ball will have the same amount of potential energy as the first ball when it reaches the ground. Since we know that the first ball strikes the ground at a height of 3H/4, we can conclude that the second ball will also strike the ground at the same height of 3H/4. Therefore, the balls will strike each other at a height of 3H/4 from the ground.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify any confusion. Keep exploring and asking questions!

Related to Where Do Two Bouncing Balls Meet?

What is the experiment of "Bob drops some balls"?

The experiment of "Bob drops some balls" is a simple physics experiment that involves dropping balls from a specific height and observing their motion and behavior upon hitting the ground.

What is the purpose of "Bob drops some balls"?

The purpose of "Bob drops some balls" is to demonstrate and study the effects of gravity and motion on objects, as well as to observe the concept of elastic collision between the balls and the ground.

What materials are needed for the experiment of "Bob drops some balls"?

The materials needed for the experiment of "Bob drops some balls" include balls of different sizes and weights, a measuring tape or ruler, a stopwatch, and a flat surface for the balls to be dropped onto.

What are the steps of the experiment of "Bob drops some balls"?

The steps of the experiment of "Bob drops some balls" are as follows: 1) Set up the materials and choose a height for dropping the balls. 2) Drop the balls one by one and record the time it takes for them to hit the ground. 3) Measure the distance the balls traveled. 4) Repeat the experiment with different heights and types of balls. 5) Analyze and interpret the data collected.

What are the expected results of the experiment of "Bob drops some balls"?

The expected results of the experiment of "Bob drops some balls" include the balls falling at a constant rate due to the force of gravity, and the distance and time traveled increasing as the height of the drop increases. The balls should also exhibit elastic collision upon hitting the ground, bouncing back to a certain height depending on their elasticity.