Where does the Berry phase of $\pi$ come from in a topological insulat

In summary, the conversation discusses the relation between the Berry connection and phase, particularly in the context of a topological insulator. The Chern parity is defined and an equation involving the Berry connection over half of the Brillouin zone is introduced. The question of whether surface states must have a pi Berry phase is raised, and the possibility of invoking time-reversal symmetry is considered. The conversation also mentions using the conductance to show the connection between the Berry phase and the Berry connection, without relying on charge polarization. Finally, the conversation asks if there is a simple argument to relate the equation with the time reversal constraint to the Berry phase, specifically a pi phase.
fmj
The Berry connection and the Berry phase should be related. Now for a topological insulator (TI) (or to be more precise, for a quantum spin hall state, but I think the Chern parities are calculated in the same fashion for a 3D TI). I can follow the argument up to defining the Chern parity $\nu$, where the Berry connection $\textbf{A}$ is explicitly within this equation where it gets integrated over half the Brillouin zone:

$\nu = \frac{1}{2\pi} \left( \oint\limits_{\partial(A + B)} d\textbf{k} \cdot \textbf{A} - \iint\limits_{A + B} dk_x dk_y \nabla \times \textbf{A} \right) \text{mod } 2 $

Is there a simple way to show that the surface states must have a $\pi$ Berry phase? Maybe
by invoking time-reversal symmetry on this equation?

For the Integer Quantum Hall Effect the conductance was used to show how the Berry phase is connected to the Berry connection. But
I would like to avoid using charge polarization, I just want to see the direct relation between the Berry connection on the BZ and the resulting Berry phase of the wavefunctions that is exactly equal to $\pi$, e.g. a fermion must undergo two complete rotations to acquire a phase of $2\pi$. Is there a simple argument to relate this equation with the time reversal contraint to the Berry phase?

Physics news on Phys.org
I saw this very nice question a week or two ago and I was hoping a real expert would weigh in because I am studying topological states of matter and have some questions myself. Anyway, I just found a simple explanation of the π Berry phase that hopefully answers your question. From http://arxiv.org/abs/1002.3895,

Unlike an ordinary metal, which has up and down spins at every point on the Fermi surface, the surface states are not spin degenerate. Since T symmetry requires that states at momenta k and -k have opposite spin, the spin must rotate with k around the Fermi surface, as shown in Fig. 7(b). This leads to a nontrivial Berry phase acquired by an electron going around the Fermi circle. T symmetry requires that this phase be 0 or π. When an electron circles a Dirac point, its spin rotates by 2π, which leads to a π Berry phase.

Just nicifying the original question (OP, use two hashes instead of the dollar symbol to enter latex):

The Berry connection and the Berry phase should be related. Now for a topological insulator (TI) (or to be more precise, for a quantum spin hall state, but I think the Chern parities are calculated in the same fashion for a 3D TI). I can follow the argument up to defining the Chern parity ##\nu##, where the Berry connection ##\textbf{A}## is explicitly within this equation where it gets integrated over half the Brillouin zone:

[itex]\nu = \frac{1}{2\pi} \left( \oint\limits_{\partial(A + B)} d\textbf{k} \cdot \textbf{A} - \iint\limits_{A + B} dk_x dk_y \nabla \times \textbf{A} \right) \text{mod } 2 [/itex]Is there a simple way to show that the surface states must have a ##\pi## Berry phase? Maybe
by invoking time-reversal symmetry on this equation?

For the Integer Quantum Hall Effect the conductance was used to show how the Berry phase is connected to the Berry connection. But
I would like to avoid using charge polarization, I just want to see the direct relation between the Berry connection on the BZ and the resulting Berry phase of the wavefunctions that is exactly equal to ##\pi##, e.g. a fermion must undergo two complete rotations to acquire a phase of ##2\pi##. Is there a simple argument to relate this equation with the time reversal contraint to the Berry phase?

Are you referring to a particular article? How is A defined exactly in your case? What are the regions A and B?

Related to Where does the Berry phase of $\pi$ come from in a topological insulat

1. What is the Berry phase in a topological insulator?

The Berry phase is a geometrical phase that is acquired by a quantum state as it undergoes a cyclic evolution in a parameter space. In the context of topological insulators, the Berry phase arises as a consequence of the topological properties of the material.

2. Where does the $\pi$ value come from in the Berry phase of a topological insulator?

The $\pi$ value in the Berry phase of a topological insulator comes from the fact that the electronic bands in a topological insulator are topologically nontrivial, leading to a Berry phase of $\pi$ for each band. This $\pi$ Berry phase is a signature of the nontrivial topology of the material.

3. How is the Berry phase of a topological insulator experimentally observed?

The Berry phase of a topological insulator can be experimentally observed by measuring the anomalous Hall effect, which is a consequence of the nontrivial topology of the material. This effect can be detected by measuring the transverse Hall voltage in response to an applied electric field.

4. What applications does the Berry phase of a topological insulator have?

The Berry phase of a topological insulator has potential applications in quantum computing and spintronics. The $\pi$ Berry phase can be used to create robust quantum bits, or qubits, which are essential for quantum computing. The topological properties of topological insulators also make them promising for spintronic devices that can manipulate spin currents instead of charge currents.

5. Can the Berry phase of a topological insulator be tuned?

Yes, the Berry phase of a topological insulator can be tuned by changing the external parameters that control the topological properties of the material. For example, the Berry phase can be tuned by applying a magnetic field or by changing the chemical composition of the material. This tunability makes topological insulators attractive for potential technological applications.