Where does the emf radiation from an elliptical come from?

In summary, the conversation discusses the origin of emf radiation from an elliptical machine and the concept of "dirty electricity." The source of this radiation is from electronic devices, and there are government regulations in place to limit its levels. The conversation also touches on the topic of individuals who claim to have hypersensitivity to emf radiation and the use of shielding devices like Argenmesh. However, the validity of the article and its claims are questionable.
fangrz
Where does the emf radiation from an elliptical come from? Just the console? I just read an article about dirty "electric pollution," and I was wondering.

Science news on Phys.org
fangrz said:
Where does the emf radiation from an elliptical come from? Just the console? I just read an article about dirty "electric pollution," and I was wondering.
An elliptical what?

berkeman said:
What's dirty electricity? Honestly, you need to provide a *lot* more information if you want to get good replies...
Dirty electricity refers to emf radiation. I read about it in this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18568931

fangrz said:
Dirty electricity refers to emf radiation. I read about it in this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18568931
Interesting. I'm very skeptical about that article and the first one on the associated articles list, and will look into it further.

To answer your question, they are referring to Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) generated by many electronic devices. There are government regulations in most countries that limit the levels of EMI that can be radiated by commercial devices. In the USA, the FCC is the government agency that is responsible for the regulations and enforcement of EMI.

The article implies a hypersensitivity to EMI by some individuals, which I find hard to believe. As I said, I will look into this more...

berkeman said:
Interesting. I'm very skeptical about that article and the first one on the associated articles list, and will look into it further.

To answer your question, they are referring to Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) generated by many electronic devices. There are government regulations in most countries that limit the levels of EMI that can be radiated by commercial devices. In the USA, the FCC is the government agency that is responsible for the regulations and enforcement of EMI.

The article implies a hypersensitivity to EMI by some individuals, which I find hard to believe. As I said, I will look into this more...
Yes, please let me know! I am concerned about using the elliptical at the gym. I have heard that "Argenmesh" can block radiation (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DXBFYQ/?tag=pfamazon01-20). Some people have reported that they cannot receive phone calls from their cell phone when using Argenmesh to wrap it. I was wondering: if I shielded the elliptical console with Argenmesh, would it be okay to use without EMI?

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:

Thank you so much by the way!

fangrz said:
Yes, please let me know! I am concerned about using the elliptical at the gym. I have heard that "Argenmesh" can block radiation (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DXBFYQ/?tag=pfamazon01-20). Some people have reported that they cannot receive phone calls from their cell phone when using Argenmesh to wrap it. I was wondering: if I shielded the elliptical console with Argenmesh, would it be okay to use without EMI?
I don't think there is anything special about the elliptical exercise machine -- I think they are referring to EMI in general.

I still am very skeptical about the article, but are you in one of the more at-risk groups that they are identifying?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread is closed for Moderation -- the paper is a questionable source, it would appear...

Thread will remain closed. The paper is not from a valid source (despite information about it being posted on a government website). The paper (and others related to it) is based on poor science, bordering on pseudo-science.

FAQ: Where does the emf radiation from an elliptical come from?

What is emf radiation?

EMF radiation stands for electromagnetic field radiation, which is a type of energy that is emitted from electronic devices and power sources. It is a form of non-ionizing radiation that is present in our everyday environment.

What is an elliptical?

An elliptical is a type of exercise equipment that mimics the motion of walking or running without putting stress on the joints. It consists of two pedals and two handles that move in a circular motion.

Where does the emf radiation from an elliptical come from?

The emf radiation from an elliptical comes from the electrical components and wiring within the machine. These components produce an electromagnetic field as they operate, which results in the emission of emf radiation.

Is emf radiation from an elliptical harmful?

The level of emf radiation emitted from an elliptical is considered to be low and is not known to cause any harm to the user. However, it is always recommended to limit exposure to emf radiation as much as possible.

How can I reduce my exposure to emf radiation from an elliptical?

To reduce your exposure to emf radiation from an elliptical, you can try placing the machine in a well-ventilated area and at a safe distance from other electronic devices. You can also limit your use of the elliptical and take breaks in between workouts.