Where does this solid angle come from?

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper that describes an interferometer with two arms, each containing HWPs at an angle theta. The input is a mixed state and the Bloch sphere is used to visualize the two paths, one up and one down. The conversation also asks about the presence of an r vector or a sphere with a radius length r. Additionally, the angles theta1 and theta2 are mentioned and their effect when they are equal is questioned.
Heidi
TL;DR Summary
interferometry prblem (with mixed states)
I found this paper
https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0412216
We have an interferometer with to arms. The firsr has a couple of HWP's inclened by an angle theta
and the second has the crossed couple. A mixed state is in input.
i look to the figure withe the Bloch sphere. i see 2 paths on it. one down and one up. i suppose
that it corresponds to the arms and that that at the end of the two curves they meet when the arms merge. Is it really the Bloch spere in the figure ? i do not see the r vector into it. or is it a sphere into it with a radius length r?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I am looking to the picture of the interferometer. There are two HWPs on each arm. on the upper arm the first is labelled by theta1 and the 2nd by theta2. what are these angles? what happens when they are equal?

Related to Where does this solid angle come from?

1. What is a solid angle?

A solid angle is a measure of the amount of space an object or area takes up in three-dimensional space. It is similar to an angle in two dimensions, but instead of measuring the amount of rotation around a point, it measures the amount of space that an object or area occupies.

2. How is a solid angle measured?

A solid angle is measured in steradians (sr), which is a unit of measurement for solid angles. One steradian is equal to the area of a spherical surface that is intersected by a cone with an apex at the center of the sphere and an opening angle of one radian.

3. Where does the concept of solid angle come from?

The concept of solid angle comes from geometry and is closely related to the concept of a sphere. It was first introduced by mathematician and astronomer Johann Lambert in the 18th century.

4. What is the importance of solid angle in science?

Solid angle is important in many areas of science, including physics, mathematics, and engineering. It is used in the calculation of flux and luminous intensity, and is also important in the study of radiation, optics, and electromagnetic fields.

5. How is solid angle used in practical applications?

Solid angle is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of lighting systems, solar panels, and satellite communication systems. It is also used in the measurement of radiation and in the calculation of heat transfer in engineering and construction.