Where is my mistake in this probability problem?

In summary, the events of both balls being red and the second ball being red are dependent, but it does not matter in this situation and the formula for P(A|B) = P(A) does not apply here. Therefore, the correct probability for both balls being red and the second ball being red is (3/12) * (2/11) = (1/22).
synkk
Bag contains 9 blue balls, 3 red balls.
A ball is selected at random, colour recorded and NOT replaced.
A second ball is selected at random, colour recorded.

a) Draw tree diagram (no problem).

Part 2

a) Find probability second ball is red (no problem, 0.25)

b) Find probability both balls selected are red, given that the second ball is red.

I'm having a problem understanding where my logic is wrong.

Using the formula:

P(B|A) = P(B and A) / P(A)

or

P(both balls are red | second ball is red) = P(both balls are red and second ball is red) / P(second ball is red)

P(second ball is red) = (1/4) or 0.25 (from part a)

P(both balls are red) = (3/12) * (2/11) = (1/22)

Because I need to find:

P(both balls are red and second ball is red)

I do the following to get the intersection

(1/4) * (1/22) = (1/88)

and then divide it by P(second balls is read) to reduce the sample space down to the given event. However this leads to the wrong answer.

Looking at the mark scheme, the just do (3/12) * (2/11) to get the intersection, but following the formula leads me to a different answer.

Looking at the textbook it says that if two events are independent then P(A|B) = P(A), if so then these two events are not independent, and the mark scheme is treating it as if they were independent.

Physics news on Phys.org
synkk said:
Bag contains 9 blue balls, 3 red balls.
A ball is selected at random, colour recorded and NOT replaced.
A second ball is selected at random, colour recorded.

a) Draw tree diagram (no problem).

Part 2

a) Find probability second ball is red (no problem, 0.25)

b) Find probability both balls selected are red, given that the second ball is red.

I'm having a problem understanding where my logic is wrong.

Using the formula:

P(B|A) = P(B and A) / P(A)

or

P(both balls are red | second ball is red) = P(both balls are red and second ball is red) / P(second ball is red)

P(second ball is red) = (1/4) or 0.25 (from part a)

P(both balls are red) = (3/12) * (2/11) = (1/22)

Because I need to find:

P(both balls are red and second ball is red)

I do the following to get the intersection

(1/4) * (1/22) = (1/88)

and then divide it by P(second balls is read) to reduce the sample space down to the given event. However this leads to the wrong answer.

Looking at the mark scheme, the just do (3/12) * (2/11) to get the intersection, but following the formula leads me to a different answer.

Looking at the textbook it says that if two events are independent then P(A|B) = P(A), if so then these two events are not independent, and the mark scheme is treating it as if they were independent.

{both are red and second is red} = {both are red} (saying the second is red does not change anything).

RGV

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
{both are red and second is red} = {both are red} (saying the second is red does not change anything).

RGV

So they are independent?

synkk said:
So they are independent?

If by "they" you mean the two events {both are red} and {second is red} then NO, they are not independent (one of them is contained in the other). However, that does not matter at all.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
If by "they" you mean the two events {both are red} and {second is red} then NO, they are not independent (one of them is contained in the other). However, that does not matter at all.

RGV

By they I mean the events that red or blue is picked. How does it not matter at all? It says on my book here that if two events are independent then P(A|B) = P(A), which is essentially what is going on here, but they are dependent, which is what's confusing me.

synkk said:
By they I mean the events that red or blue is picked. How does it not matter at all? It says on my book here that if two events are independent then P(A|B) = P(A), which is essentially what is going on here, but they are dependent, which is what's confusing me.

All the events in your first posting involved only red balls, not blue ones. Of course, either a red one or a blue one is picked: nothing else can possibly happen! However, that is not the issue. You originally said you wanted P{both are red and second is red}, and you claimed to be confused about having to compute P{A & B} for A and B possibly not independent; in the context of your post you were taking A = {both are red} and B = {second is red}. Again, I repeat: they are dependent, but it does not matter. Maybe you are just trying to apply some formulas without thinking; I suggest you look more carefully at the situation.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
All the events in your first posting involved only red balls, not blue ones. Of course, either a red one or a blue one is picked: nothing else can possibly happen! However, that is not the issue. You originally said you wanted P{both are red and second is red}, and you claimed to be confused about having to compute P{A & B} for A and B possibly not independent; in the context of your post you were taking A = {both are red} and B = {second is red}. Again, I repeat: they are dependent, but it does not matter. Maybe you are just trying to apply some formulas without thinking; I suggest you look more carefully at the situation.

RGV

thank you

Related to Where is my mistake in this probability problem?

What is the concept of independent events?

The concept of independent events refers to the idea that the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of another event. In other words, the occurrence of one event does not increase or decrease the likelihood of the other event happening.

How do you determine if events are independent?

To determine if events are independent, you can use the formula P(A ∩ B) = P(A) * P(B), where P(A) represents the probability of event A occurring and P(B) represents the probability of event B occurring. If the equation holds true, then the events are considered independent.

What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

The main difference between independent and dependent events is that the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of the other in independent events, while in dependent events, the outcome of one event does affect the outcome of the other.

How can independent events be confused with dependent events?

Independent events can be confused with dependent events when there is a lack of understanding of the concept. Sometimes, events may appear to be independent when they are actually dependent due to hidden factors or dependencies.

What are some real-life examples of independent events?

Some real-life examples of independent events include flipping a coin and rolling a die, choosing a card from a deck and then replacing it, or drawing a marble from a bag and not replacing it. In each of these examples, the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of the other event.