Where Is the Center of Mass in a Club Axe?

In summary, The club-ax has a symmetrical 9 kg stone attached to the end of an 80 cm long, 2.5 kg stick. The stone is 18 cm and the handle is 62 cm. To find the center of mass, you can use the equation \sum mx / m1 + m2. However, the person is having trouble solving this problem and is seeking help to understand the concept better.
gl7
1. a club ax that consists of a symmetrical 9 kg stone is attached to the end of a uniform 2.5 kg stick. stick is 80 cm long, stone is 18 cm.

how far is the center of mass from the handle end of the club-ax?

Homework Equations

3. i for the life of me not know how to go about solving, i am not looking for handouts i really want to learn how to do, if could please explain to me. please and thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to find the center of mass of two points? If so, you can find the geometrical center of the stone and handle and be one step from the solution.

i think so, i am using [tex]\sum[/tex] mx [tex]/[/tex] m1 + m2.

i am just completely lost on this topic, everything i try is wrong. thanks for the help but i think i will need to figure in my next class

Related to Where Is the Center of Mass in a Club Axe?

1. What is the center of mass of an axe?

The center of mass of an axe is the point at which the weight of the axe is evenly distributed, meaning that if the axe were placed on this point, it would remain balanced and stable.

2. How is the center of mass of an axe determined?

The center of mass of an axe can be determined through a process called balancing. This involves suspending the axe from various points and finding the point at which it remains balanced.

3. Why is the center of mass important in an axe?

The center of mass is important in an axe because it determines the balance and stability of the tool. A well-balanced axe is easier to handle and reduces the risk of injury.

4. Does the center of mass of an axe change?

Yes, the center of mass of an axe can change depending on its position and any added weight. For example, the center of mass will shift towards the end of the handle if a heavier head is added to the axe.

5. How does the shape of an axe affect its center of mass?

The shape of an axe can greatly affect its center of mass. A wider head or longer handle will shift the center of mass towards the head, while a shorter handle or narrower head will shift it towards the handle. This can also impact the balance and handling of the axe.