Where is the Classically Forbidden Region for a Ground-State Hydrogen Atom?

• Thread starter Shafikae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydrogen
In summary: Let me try to explain it better.In summary, the prob of an electron never being found in the classically forbidden region is 0.238103.
Shafikae
Any region of space in which the kinetic energy T of a particle would become negative is forbidden for classical motion. For a hydrogen atom in the ground state:
(a) find the classically forbidden region
(b) using the ground-state wave function [tex]\psi[/tex]100(r), calculate the probability of finding the electron in this region.

I was able to do part (b) and I got 0.238103.
As for part (a), I don't know what to do. I'm able to do the mathematics, I just can't seem to start a problem. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ehhmmm, but if you have calculated the probability of finding the electron in the classically forbidden region, you already must know what this region is, right?
(and yes, you could have added that to your other post. helps keeping an overview)

I think your answer to part (b) is wrong as well.

Oh you grey earl... totally forgot 1-P ...
Vela so part (b) is incorrect? This is how I got the answer...

Since a0 = bohr radius
then the prob of the electron being found in classically forbidden region is (r>2a0)

Then I took the integral of r2 exp(-2r/a0) (4/a0) from 2a0 to infinity... is that not right?

That's the right method (though I think you meant you had a03 in the denominator). I must have screwed up somewhere in my calculation yesterday. Today, I redid it and got the same answer you did. Sorry to mislead you.

ya sorry i meant cubed. ok good good so I'm on the right track. Thanks so much.

for part (a), i know i would subtract part (b) from 1... but i want to do that actual math.
Does the integral remain the same and just change the limit of integration from 0 to a0 ?

I think you're misunderstanding what the problem is asking for. It's just asking where in space would the electron never be found classically. You've already figured that out (and used it to calculate the answer to part (b)). You wouldn't find it anywhere farther away than 2a0 from the nucleus; in other words, the classically forbidden region is r>2a0.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I don't know why i thought number 1 was asking for something totally different! thanks a bunch!

I thought part (a) was asking for the prob of not finding it in the forbidden region.

FAQ: Where is the Classically Forbidden Region for a Ground-State Hydrogen Atom?

1. What is the "forbidden region" for hydrogen?

The "forbidden region" for hydrogen refers to a specific energy range in which the electron in a hydrogen atom cannot exist. This is due to the quantum mechanical restrictions on the allowed energy levels for electrons.

2. Why is the forbidden region important in hydrogen research?

The forbidden region is important in hydrogen research because it allows scientists to understand the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules. It also helps in predicting the behavior of other elements and compounds.

3. How is the existence of the forbidden region determined?

The existence of the forbidden region is determined through experimental methods such as spectroscopy, which measures the absorption and emission of light by atoms and molecules. The data obtained from these experiments can then be analyzed to identify the specific energy range in which the electron cannot exist.

4. Can the forbidden region be overcome or manipulated?

No, the forbidden region cannot be overcome or manipulated. It is a fundamental property of quantum mechanics and is a natural limitation on the energy levels of electrons in atoms and molecules.

5. What are the implications of the forbidden region in practical applications?

The forbidden region has important implications in various practical applications, such as in the development of new materials, understanding chemical reactions, and designing quantum computers. It also plays a significant role in the study of atomic and molecular structures and their properties.

Back