Where is the closest, safest route and location to find....

• Thread starter Kilo Vectors
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of mining rare metals from asteroids in space in the future. It is mentioned that there are already plans to do so, but the issue of stealth and disguising the true purpose of the mission is brought up. It is also noted that rocket launches would need to become cheaper or be replaced by another means of transportation in order for this to be economically feasible. The conversation also touches on the idea of using hydrogen and oxygen as potential resources in space. Overall, the conversation suggests that while mining in space is a possibility, it may not happen in the near future and would require advanced technology and efficient transportation methods.
Kilo Vectors
mine-able gold, and/or platinum in space, relative to earth? Say if i set my story in the year 2080-2100..a company sets out to secretly do this? also it must be economically justifiable of course, but let us assume increasing scarcity of already depleted gold and precious metals causes this very talented firm to explore this option as economically feasible

Physics news on Phys.org
There are plans already to mine various things from asteroids. Rare metals are often a target.
Stealth? You cannot hide a rocket launch. You can hide its true purpose, maybe, but then you need a good reason to launch anything to interplanetary space.

Likes Kilo Vectors
mfb said:
There are plans already to mine various things from asteroids. Rare metals are often a target.
Stealth? You cannot hide a rocket launch. You can hide its true purpose, maybe, but then you need a good reason to launch anything to interplanetary space.

Yes sir, but somehow I feel it wll not take place any time before the next one or two centuries? What do you feel? Well about stealth,..it cannot be disguised I agree. Also, what would be a realistic payload to bring back? Say they have good technology but nothing too sci-fi. lol. Would it be possible to disguise a special vehicle satellite sized, that would be launched with several others at once, however go off to mine an asteroid. But isn't a planet a better option? one that has such vast reserves..if you know.

Kilo Vectors said:
Yes sir, but somehow I feel it wll not take place any time before the next one or two centuries? What do you feel?
Rocket launches have to get significantly cheaper, or get replaced by something else, but I can imagine that happening within this century. 85 years to go - 85 years ago (1931) we did not even have rockets that could go to space, and Lindbergh's flight over the Atlantic was just 4 years ago.
Kilo Vectors said:
Also, what would be a realistic payload to bring back?
Whatever is available on the asteroid and expensive enough in space or on Earth. If rockets are not replaced by something significantly cheaper, even hydrogen and oxygen can be interesting (to be used in space then).
Kilo Vectors said:
Would it be possible to disguise a special vehicle satellite sized, that would be launched with several others at once, however go off to mine an asteroid.
Maybe not impossible, but I still doubt that something like that could stay undetected.
Kilo Vectors said:
But isn't a planet a better option? one that has such vast reserves..if you know.
We have a planet right here, easily accessible. Asteroids are interesting because they have high concentrations of heavy metals - things that mainly went to the core of planets. It is also much easier to launch stuff from asteroids compared to launching stuff from planets.

Related to Where is the closest, safest route and location to find....

1. Where is the closest route to find fresh water?

The closest route to find fresh water will depend on your location. Generally, the safest and most reliable sources of fresh water are rivers, lakes, and streams. It's important to properly filter or purify the water before drinking.

2. Where is the safest location to find shelter in the wilderness?

The safest location to find shelter in the wilderness will depend on the specific terrain and weather conditions. The best option is to find natural shelter, such as caves or overhangs, that can protect you from the elements. If natural shelter is not available, construct a shelter using materials from your surroundings.

3. Where is the closest route to find food in a survival situation?

In a survival situation, it's important to prioritize finding shelter and water first. However, if you have the necessary skills and resources, you can look for edible plants, berries, and nuts in the surrounding area. Hunting and fishing are also options, but require knowledge and proper tools.

4. Where is the safest route to find medical assistance in a remote area?

If you are in a remote area and in need of medical assistance, the safest option is to call for help and wait for rescue. If you are unable to call for help, it's important to have a first aid kit and some basic medical knowledge. You can also try to find other hikers or campers who may have medical supplies or knowledge.

5. Where is the closest route to find a way out of a remote area?

The closest route to find a way out of a remote area will depend on your specific location. It's best to have a map and compass to navigate, and to leave markers or signs to help guide you back to civilization. If you are unsure of the way out, it's important to stay put and wait for rescue.