Where is the faulty logic in my solution to this problem?

• Thread starter SlurrerOfSpeech
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, the programmer's program failed to produce the correct answer, and it was not because of a mistake in the code.
SlurrerOfSpeech
I was working on https://www.hackerrank.com/contests/101hack50/challenges/even-and-odd-boxes for 2.5 hours and couldn't get it right. The programming competition is over, so now it's ok to discuss. I can't figure out where I was going wrong.

Java:
    static void OnesToFront(List<int> list)
    {
        for(int i = 0, j = list.Count - 1; i < j; )
        {
            if(list[i] == 1)
                ++i;
            else if(list[j] != 1)
                --j;
            else
            {
                int temp = list[i];
                list[i] = list[j];
                list[j] = temp;
            }
        }
    }

static bool IsEven(int i) { return i % 2 == 0; }

static int MinimumChocolateMoves(int n, int[] X) {
        var shouldBeEven = X.Where((x, i) => IsEven(i) && !IsEven(x)).ToList();
        var shouldBeOdd = X.Where((x, i) => !IsEven(i) && IsEven(x)).ToList();
        if(shouldBeEven.Count == shouldBeOdd.Count)
            return shouldBeEven.Count;
        OnesToFront(shouldBeEven);      
        var q1 = new Queue<int>(shouldBeEven);
        var q2 = new Queue<int>(shouldBeOdd);
        while(q1.Count > 0 && q2.Count > 0)
        {
            q1.Dequeue();
            q2.Dequeue();
        }
        int remaining = q1.Count + q2.Count;
        if(!IsEven(remaining))
            return -1;  
        if(q1.Count > 0)
        {
            int ones = q1.Count(i => i == 1);
            if(ones > q1.Count / 2)
                return -1;
        }      
        return remaining / 2;
    }

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
With any kind of programming problem, its good to put print statements between key steps to verify that things were computed correctly.

If you have a debugger that's even better for stepping through your code.

In your case, you might want to print out snapshots of your queue to see what got added and where things got tripped up. Basically use the computer to help you debug its problem since programmers don't make mistakes right?

Its much harder for another programmer unfamiliar with your code or the problem its supposed to solve to debug it. However, by talking through your solution and verifying that the computer did it as expected you might discover it for yourself.

(I meant to post this in the Programming room)

<< moved... --mentor >>

Ok, let me explain my logic.

Let U be the set of all odds that should be even, and let V be the set of all evens that should be odd.

Fact: for any u in U and v in V, we can make u even and v odd by subtracting from one and adding to the other.

Using the above fact, if |U| = |V| we can perform exactly |U| such operations to get the desired pattern.

If |U| != |V|, we can perform exactly m = Min(|U|, |V|) operations and then we will have a surplus of s = Max(|U|, |V|) - m numbers from one of the sets. If s is odd, then we can not possibly turn those surplus items to the other side. If s is even, then we can.* For example, if we have a pair of evens, like (4,18), we can turn that odd by (4+1,18-1)=(5,17), and we can do that for every pair of evens. Or, if we have a pair of odds, like (7, 19), we can turn that even by (7-1,19+1)=(6,20), and we can do that for every pair of odds.

*Edge case: We can't turn pairs (1,1) into evens.

Last edited by a moderator:
SlurrerOfSpeech said:
Ok, let me explain my logic.
Did you figure it out or don't care? Anyway,
1. Write comments that explain the logic, for yourself and especially if posting it for review
2. It seems you forgot to count the chocolates moved in the Dequeue loop.
3. How do you know your program does not work? Do you have a working program to compare against? Is your program giving less or more than the correct answer, or both?

Likes FactChecker

Related to Where is the faulty logic in my solution to this problem?

1. What is faulty logic and how does it affect my solution?

Faulty logic refers to the use of flawed reasoning or assumptions in a solution. It can lead to incorrect conclusions and can greatly impact the effectiveness of a solution.

2. How can I identify faulty logic in my solution?

To identify faulty logic, it is important to carefully examine your reasoning and assumptions. Look for any gaps in logic or evidence, any contradictions, and any unsupported claims.

3. Can faulty logic be fixed or corrected?

Yes, faulty logic can be fixed by identifying and addressing the flaws in the reasoning. This may involve revising or modifying the solution to ensure that it is logically sound.

4. Why is it important to address faulty logic in a solution?

Addressing faulty logic is important because it can greatly impact the validity and effectiveness of a solution. If left unaddressed, it can lead to incorrect conclusions and potentially harmful consequences.

5. How can I prevent faulty logic in future solutions?

To prevent faulty logic in future solutions, it is important to critically evaluate and test your reasoning and assumptions. Seek feedback from others and consider alternative perspectives to ensure that your solution is logically sound.