Where Is the Hubble Telescope in Orbit?

In summary: S is a line going through southern Italy (Naples), Tunisia, Spain, central Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Mexico border.
lifeonmercury
I've read that Hubble is in geosynchronous orbit, but precisely what point on Earth does it remain in orbit over?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
lifeonmercury said:
I've read that Hubble is in geosynchronous orbit
It isn't. It's in a Low Earth Orbit.

Likes davenn
I see. So it does not remain over the same point on Earth. Thanks.

No it doesn't, in fact it moves quite fast relative to the surface of the Earth.
From most parts of Earth it is easy to see passing overhead a few times a year at night.
Takes maybe 15 minutes to cross the sky at most.
NASA have a timetable which people can look at to find out what times are the best for sighting at your location..
https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/

Last edited:
If you put the NASA app on your phone you can set it up to alert you when certain things are passing over your location. I have used it to spot the ISS once or twice. The windows of time are just a few minutes, and it goes by fairly quickly. I'm not sure how view able Hubble is.

Oooops! = major inattention on my part, I thought this was about ISS :H,
I'll put that down to overdoing it with multitasking, to many tabs open at once.
Anyway as said above, NASA do have a number of apps and websites where all the info of missions is available for the public.
(I think the Curiosity rover on Mars even has a presence on twitter!),

rootone said:
Oooops! = major inattention on my part, I thought this was about ISS :H,
I'll put that down to overdoing it with multitasking, to many tabs open at once.
Anyway as said above, NASA do have a number of apps and websites where all the info of missions is available for the public.
(I think the Curiosity rover on Mars even has a presence on twitter!),

If the NASA app was working on my phone, I'd be able to check, but it seems it stopped working after that last android update.

The Hubble telescope has a lower inclination than the ISS, you need to be south of ~45°N and north of ~45°S to see it. It is one of the brightest objects in the sky for a few minutes if it flies overhead shortly before sunrise / after sunset (it has to be in the sun while the ground has to be in the darkness).

45°N is a line going through northern Italy (Milano), Crimea, central Maine, Ottawa, North/South Dakota border, Washington/Oregon border and so on.

Related to Where Is the Hubble Telescope in Orbit?

1. Where is the Hubble Telescope located?

The Hubble Telescope is located in low Earth orbit, approximately 340 miles above the Earth's surface.

2. How is the Hubble Telescope able to stay in orbit?

The Hubble Telescope stays in orbit due to its high velocity, which counteracts the pull of Earth's gravity. It also has thrusters that allow it to make small adjustments to maintain its orbit.

3. Can the Hubble Telescope be seen from Earth?

Yes, the Hubble Telescope can be seen from Earth with the naked eye under certain conditions. It appears as a small, bright dot moving across the sky.

4. How does the Hubble Telescope transmit images back to Earth?

The Hubble Telescope uses high-gain antennas to transmit data back to Earth. It sends the data to NASA's Tracking and Data Relay Satellite System, which then relays it to ground stations on Earth.

5. Will the Hubble Telescope eventually fall back to Earth?

Yes, eventually the Hubble Telescope will fall back to Earth due to atmospheric drag. However, it is estimated that this won't happen for another 10-20 years, and NASA plans to safely de-orbit and dispose of the telescope before then.