Where is the mistake in derivation of Length Contraction?

aliinuur
TL;DR Summary
I've got L=L_0*sqrt(1+v^2/c^2)-v^2/c^2 instead of L=L_0*sqrt(1-v^2/c^2). Where did i make mistake?
squareClock.png
I tried to use square box with two perpendicularly oscillating photons to derive length contraction formula. Photons are emitted, reflected from box walls and absorbed simultaneously from the box's point of view. If the box have some velocity v, then assuming photons are still emitted and absorbed(but not reflected) simultaneously, I've got L=L_0*sqrt(1+v^2/c^2)-v^2/c^2 instead of L=L_0*sqrt(1-v^2/c^2). Where did I make mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Difficult to tell if you don't show your derivation.

Note that you can use ##\LaTeX## to lay out maths legibly. (If it wasn't working when you wrote your first post it should be now because I've used LaTeX - refresh the page if you still don't see it rendered.)

Likes Dale
WhatsApp Image 2024-10-06 at 20.39.38_6c1e5945.jpg

here is my calculations for v=c/2. Diagonal arrows - path of the vertical photon, horizontal arrows - path of the horizontal photon, both photons travel distance 2*R=2*L*sqrt(1+1/4). I find contracted length by subtracting x1(path of the emitter when horizontal photon hits the wall) from the path of horizontal particle when it hits the wall.

Ibix said:
Difficult to tell if you don't show your derivation.

Note that you can use ##\LaTeX## to lay out maths legibly. (If it wasn't working when you wrote your first post it should be now because I've used LaTeX - refresh the page if you still don't see it rendered.)
i've posted my derivation as reply above

aliinuur said:
i've posted my derivation as reply above
Images are not acceptable for this. Please use the PF LaTeX feature to post equations directly.

Don't use a specific ##v## - you can always put a number in later.

Let's say it takes time ##T## for the pulses to return. The vertical pulse travels the same distance on both legs, which must therefore be ##cT/2##. The box travels distance ##vT/2## horizontally and is ##L_0## across. Therefore Pythagoras tells us that ##(cT/2)^2=(vT/2)^2+(L_0)^2##, or $$T^2=\frac{(2L_0)^2}{c^2-v^2}$$
Now consider the horizontally propagating pulse. It doesn't travel the same distance in the positive and negative directions. If the box has length ##L##, what time does the reflection happen? And then what time does the return happen?

Quote or reply to my post to see how I used LaTeX. It's easy enough to learn.