Where Is the Net Electric Field Zero Between Two Charged Lines?

In summary, two parallel lines of charge with different linear charge densities are fixed at a distance of L = 8.0 cm. The goal is to find the position along the x-axis where the net electric field from the two lines is zero. Using the equation E1 = E2, the equation q1(x-L/2)=q2(x+L/2) is derived and simplified to charge density1/charge density2 = (x-(L/2))/(x+(L/2)). However, further solving requires algebraic manipulation that the person is not proficient in. It is suggested to superimpose the electric fields of the two lines and solve for x, taking into account that the electric field varies as 1
amodedude1
1. In the figure below, short sections of two very long parallel lines of charge are shown, fixed in place and separated by L = 8.0 cm. The uniform linear charge densities are +5.8 µC/m for line 1 and -2.0 µC/m for line 2. Where along the x-axis shown is the net electric field from the two lines zero? (link to image: ) http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/8695/hrw72335.gif

L=8cm=.08m
charge density1=+5.8 µC/m
charge density2=-2 µC/m2. I used E1=E2

3. The Attempt at a Solution :

I solve E1=E2

I cancel the 1/(4pi E)'s , cross multiply and get charge density1(x-L/2)=charge density2(x+L/2), then get charge density1/charge density2= (x-(L/2))/ (x+(L/2))

but my very poor algebra limits me here. How do I go about solving this. (remember my algebra is hideous)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The electric field varies as 1/r for a wire? If so we can superimpose the two fields along the x axis,

E(along the x axis) = q_1/x + q_2/(x + separation of lines) = 0

solve for x

FAQ: Where Is the Net Electric Field Zero Between Two Charged Lines?

1. What is conservation of electric field?

The conservation of electric field is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total electric field in a closed system remains constant. This means that the amount of electric field leaving a certain area must be equal to the amount of electric field entering that same area.

2. Why is conservation of electric field important?

Conservation of electric field is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and their interactions with other objects. It also allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations in various electrical systems.

3. How is conservation of electric field related to conservation of charge?

Conservation of electric field is closely related to conservation of charge, as electric field is generated by the presence of charged particles. The law of conservation of charge states that the total amount of charge in a closed system remains constant, which directly affects the amount of electric field in that system.

4. Does conservation of electric field apply to all types of electric fields?

Yes, conservation of electric field applies to all types of electric fields, including static and dynamic fields. This law is a fundamental principle that governs the behavior of all electric fields.

5. Can conservation of electric field be violated?

No, conservation of electric field is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. This law has been extensively tested and has been found to hold true in all known cases.

Back