Where is the strongest intensity of an electromagnetic field produced by a solenoid?

CA_PT
I don't have a strong technical background in this, so need some help. I'm currently investigating pulsed electromagnetic field (PEMF) devices to rehab injuries, and trying to figure out the best applicator and placement.

The choices available are coils, mats, butterfly coils, paddles, and a straight rope. From what I've read so far, it seems like the best way to expose injured body parts to the largest electromagnetic field would be to wrap the body part that requires PEMF treatment with as many turns of the straight rope coil as possible to create a solenoid, and pass as much current through the wire as tolerated.

Based off the inverse square law, it seems like holding any of the other applicators on the skin's surface- when trying to reach tissue at any depth underneath the skin- would be much less effective). Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

CA_PT said:
I don't have a strong technical background in this, so need some help. I'm currently investigating pulsed electromagnetic field (PEMF) devices to rehab injuries, and trying to figure out the best applicator and placement.

The choices available are coils, mats, butterfly coils, paddles, and a straight rope. From what I've read so far, it seems like the best way to expose injured body parts to the largest electromagnetic field would be to wrap the body part that requires PEMF treatment with as many turns of the straight rope coil as possible to create a solenoid, and pass as much current through the wire as tolerated.

Based off the inverse square law, it seems like holding any of the other applicators on the skin's surface- when trying to reach tissue at any depth underneath the skin- would be much less effective). Can anyone confirm this?

(emphasis added by me) Are you familiar with Medical Device Safety Standards like IEC 60601? You can't just be experimenting on people without some understanding of the safety standards and a moderate amount of experience with designing and building circuitry...

Attachments

• Intertek White Paper on IEC 60601-1-2 Edition 4 Medical Safety Standard.pdf
    350.7 KB · Views: 0
Likes Vanadium 50 and BvU