Where Should a -3 MicroCoulomb Charge Be Placed to Achieve Zero Net Force?

In summary, to find the position of a -3 microCoulombs charge where the net force on the charge is 0, we can use the equation F= (k*q1*q2) / (r*r) and manipulate it to solve for the distance between the charges. By setting the electric field strength from charge 1 equal to the electric field strength from charge 2, and using the fact that the distances from each charge to the point of E=0 add up to 80cm, we can solve for the distance. This gives us a value of approximately 33.137cm, meaning the charge should be placed 33.137cm from the 4mC charge.
creeps228

Homework Statement

Two charges are separated as shown. Where would you place a -3 microCoulombs (mC) charge such that the net force on this charge is 0?

+ +
4mC 8mC
Distance between charges are 80cm apart.

Homework Equations

F= (k*q1*q2) / (r*r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found out the Force on q1 ( i made q1 the 4mC charge and q2 the 8mC charger) to q2
it came to be 4.5*10^(-1) N. Same for the F for q2 on q1. Then i manipluated the equation to slove for r. Once that was established i but the -3mC charge in the equation with the 4mC charge and F being 4.5*10^(-1) giving me an approximation of .5m aka 50 cm. But that doesn't seem right, what equation I am not using to get this answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the net force acting on the charge is 0N, we know that the electric field is 0 N/C.

Now, through simple arguements we know the point we are looking for is inbetween the two charges and that the field strength from charge 1 has to equal the field strength from charge 2 (in magnitude).

*Let a be the distance from q1 to the point of E = 0 and b be the distance from q2 to the point of E = 0.

So, E1 = E2

k*q1/a2 = k*q2/b2

Cancel k to get,

q1/a2 = q2/b2

you can reorganize the equation to be simplier to use later on to,

q1*b2 = q2*a2

Now you also have a + b = 80cm

By substituting into another, you can solve for a or b, and thus solve for the other, giving you the point in which there is zero force on the charge.

I subsituted b for 80-a

so using the equation you gave q1= 4mC q2=8mC

4mC*[(80-a)^2] = 8mC*[a^2]
= 4mC* (6400-160a+[a^2]) = 8mC*a^2

which seems more confusing then just doing problem itself

you now have a simple equation to solve for the value of "a"

4mC* (6400-160a+[a^2]) = 8mC*a^2
(6400-160a+[a^2]) = 2*a^2
6400 = a^2 + 160a

a = 33.137 (approx)

so the charge must be placed 33.137cm from the 4mC charge.

Thankyou. The force of the 3mC charge from the other two chargers were about .02 difference. Basically one was 9.7*10^(-11) and the other was 9.9*10^(-11). Close to zero as possible, but thankyou.

Related to Where Should a -3 MicroCoulomb Charge Be Placed to Achieve Zero Net Force?

1. What is the difference between AC and DC currents?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) are two types of electrical currents. AC changes direction periodically while DC flows in only one direction. AC is used for high voltage transmission over long distances, while DC is used in smaller applications such as batteries and electronic devices.

2. What is the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance?

Ohm's Law states that the current (I) through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage (V) applied and inversely proportional to the resistance (R) of the conductor. This can be expressed as V=IR.

3. How does an electric circuit work?

An electric circuit is a closed loop through which electrical current can flow. It consists of a power source (such as a battery), conductors (wires), and electrical components (such as resistors, capacitors, and switches). The power source provides the energy, the conductors carry the current, and the components control the flow of electricity.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, and the same current flows through each component. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple loops, and the current is divided among them. This means that the total resistance in a series circuit is the sum of each component's resistance, while in a parallel circuit, it is less than the resistance of the individual components.

5. How is electrical energy measured?

Electrical energy is measured in units of joules (J) or watt-hours (Wh). Joules are a unit of energy, while watt-hours are a unit of power consumption over time. The energy used by a device can be calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) by the current (I) and the time (t). This is expressed as E=VIt.