Where should I ask about mathematical problems with Riemann curvature tensor

In summary, the conversation discusses the appropriate section for asking mathematical questions related to Riemann Tensor analysis and General Relativity. It is recommended to post homework questions in the Science Education Zone and to follow the homework template. However, graduate level questions may be allowed in the main section if the student shows their attempt at solving the problem.
aditya ver.2.0
I have come about few mathematical problems related to Riemann Tensor analysis while learning General Relativity. Should I ask these questions in this section or in the homework section. They are pretty hard!

Physics news on Phys.org
If they're actual homework for a class you're taking, you should ask them in the appropriate homework forum.

If you're trying to learn GR on your own, not as part of a class, and you have questions about things you're not sure of you can ask them here, but the homework forum template is still a good guide to follow if you want helpful answers: for example, if you're not sure why a certain property holds, don't just ask why it's true, show your own efforts to either prove or disprove it, and where you got stuck.

If the problems are for a graduate level class, I believe you are allowed to ask them here even if they are homework. If it's an undergraduate class, use the homework forums.

The guidelines have changed slightly, but it looks like this is still the case:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/new-pf-global-guidelines.148164/
Homework Help:
On posting questions: Any and all high school and undergraduate homework assignments or textbook style exercises for which you are seeking assistance are to be posted in our Science Education Zone. This should be done whether or not the problem is part of one's coursework. The reason for this is that the scientific and mathematical sections of Physics Forums are to be reserved for discussions and not academic assistance. Since graduate level assignments are meant to be more thought provoking (and hence more worthy of discussion), graduate level questions will be allowed in the relevant part of the main section of PF, provided that the graduate student attempts the problem and shows his work. NOTE: You MUST show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help. You MUST make use of the homework template, which automatically appears when a new topic is created in the homework help forums.

Hi Pevect,

FYI The link didn't work for me... I attached a screen shot with the permissions error.
pervect said:
The guidelines have changed slightly, but it looks like this is still the case:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/new-pf-global-guidelines.148164/

upload_2014-11-17_11-32-43.png

That works, Thanks!

Related to Where should I ask about mathematical problems with Riemann curvature tensor

1. What is the Riemann curvature tensor?

The Riemann curvature tensor is a mathematical object that describes the curvature of a space. It is used in the study of differential geometry and is important in understanding the properties of curved spaces, such as those found in general relativity.

2. How is the Riemann curvature tensor calculated?

The Riemann curvature tensor is calculated using the metric tensor, which describes the distance between points in a space. It involves taking the derivatives of the metric tensor and performing a series of calculations to obtain the components of the Riemann curvature tensor.

3. Where can I find information about mathematical problems with the Riemann curvature tensor?

You can find information about mathematical problems with the Riemann curvature tensor in mathematical textbooks and online resources such as math forums and educational websites. You can also consult with experts in the field of differential geometry or general relativity for more specific questions.

4. What are some common applications of the Riemann curvature tensor?

The Riemann curvature tensor has many applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime, in differential geometry to study the properties of curved spaces, and in physics to understand the behavior of particles in curved spaces.

5. How can I use the Riemann curvature tensor to solve problems?

The Riemann curvature tensor can be used to solve a variety of problems in mathematics and physics. For example, it can be used to calculate the curvature of a space, to determine the geodesics (shortest paths) in a curved space, and to study the effects of gravity on the motion of objects. It is a powerful tool for understanding the properties of curved spaces and their applications in various fields of science.