Where Should I Drill the Hole to Minimize the Period of a Physical Pendulum?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the optimal location to drill a hole in a meter stick in order to minimize the period of a pendulum. The equation T=2*pi*sqrt(I/mgd) is used, where I is calculated using the parallel axis theorem. The final answer is determined by taking the differentiation of T with respect to h and setting it equal to zero. The result obtained is 0.238 meters, but after further discussion, it is found to be incorrect and the correct answer is 0.288675 meters.
nns91

Homework Statement

You are given a meter stick and asked to drill a hole in it so that when pivoted about the hole the period of the pendulum will be a minimum. Where should you drill the hole

Homework Equations

T=2*pi*sqrt(I/mgd)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I use parallel axis theorem for I and get I=I(com)+mh^2=(1/12)mL^2+mh^2 = m*((1/12)+h^2) because L=1 as in a meter stick.

Plug in the formula I have T= 2*pi * sqrt( (1/12)+h^2 / gh) because m cancels out and d=h because h is the distance from center of mass.

How should I move one to get the final answer ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take differentiation of T with respect to h and equate to zero.

Ok, thanks, I got like 0.238, don't know if it sounds reasonable. Can you check that for me please ??

Check it again. I am getting different answer.

I punched the whole expression in my calculator and set it equal 0 and use the solver. That's what it gave me. What did you get ?

0.288675 m

Related to Where Should I Drill the Hole to Minimize the Period of a Physical Pendulum?

1. What is a physical pendulum hole?

A physical pendulum hole is a hole in a solid object, such as a block of wood or metal, that allows a pendulum to swing freely.

2. How does a physical pendulum hole affect the movement of a pendulum?

The physical pendulum hole allows the pendulum to swing without any resistance or interference from the object it is attached to. This allows for more accurate and consistent measurements of the pendulum's movement.

3. What are the benefits of using a physical pendulum hole?

Using a physical pendulum hole eliminates any friction or drag on the pendulum, allowing for more precise measurements of the pendulum's period and other physical properties.

4. How is a physical pendulum hole created?

A physical pendulum hole can be created by drilling or carving a hole in the desired object, ensuring that it is deep enough for the pendulum to swing freely without hitting the sides of the hole.

5. Can a physical pendulum hole be used for any type of pendulum?

Yes, a physical pendulum hole can be used for any type of pendulum as long as the size and shape of the hole is appropriate for the pendulum's size and length. However, it is most commonly used for simple pendulums.