Where to place fixed axis of rotating motor

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of applying torque to a motor and the use of a fixed frame or lever arm to generate torque. The example of using an electric screwdriver to rotate a screw in wood was used to illustrate the concept. The question of whether torque can be applied without a radius was raised, and the use of an axial force and intermediate mechanism was mentioned. The conversation also touched on the design of hand drills and watchmakers drills, which both use the principle of applying an axial force to generate torque.
ahmed11
is there a fixed angle between the fixed axis of a motor to the torque applied opposite to the motor rotation?
an example is if i am using and electric screw driver to rotate a spiral screw in stable piece of wood on the floor, what should be my fixed frame if the screwdriver is I shaped and pointing down. how should i know my fixed frame and can my fixed frame be applied by weight of my hand on the screwdriver not in the opposite direction of rotation or it has to be applied by putting torque (weight) opposite to the rotation motion. I'm trying to design a hand drill like the screwdriver without a fixed frame, so i was wondering if it is possible. assume that the bit of the screwdriver is in contact with the wood( inside it) can i apply weight on top of the screwdriver to overcome the torque of the wood on the bit or it has to be applied with radius. i know that torque is force x radius but is there any other way to apply torque without radius?

Physics news on Phys.org
ahmed11 said:
know that torque is force x radius but is there any other way to apply torque without radius?
I there a way to make force x 0 not equal to 0 ?

An axial force can be used to generate a torque if there is an intermediate mechanism . The most common mechanism is the one used in so called 'automatic' screwdrivers where a nut is pushed along a long pitch helix . Many varieties of detail design .

screwdriver-1to3lg.jpg

A watchmakers drill uses the same principle . Sometimes called an Archimedean drill . Again many varieties of detail design .

44038.jpg

Likes ahmed11
Nidum said:
An axial force can be used to generate a torque
You still must apply a torque to those tools, which you cannot do without a lever arm (as the OP wants to).

Related to Where to place fixed axis of rotating motor

1. Where should the fixed axis of a rotating motor be placed?

The fixed axis of a rotating motor should be placed at the center of mass of the rotating object to ensure balanced and stable rotation.

2. Can the fixed axis of a rotating motor be placed anywhere?

No, the fixed axis of a rotating motor should be placed in a location that allows for smooth rotation and minimizes any potential vibrations or imbalances.

3. How do you determine the ideal location for the fixed axis of a rotating motor?

The ideal location of the fixed axis can be determined through experimentation and calculations, taking into account the weight distribution and shape of the rotating object.

4. What happens if the fixed axis of a rotating motor is not placed correctly?

If the fixed axis of a rotating motor is not placed correctly, it can lead to unbalanced rotation, increased wear and tear on the motor, and potential damage to the rotating object.

5. Is there a difference in the placement of the fixed axis for different types of rotating motors?

Yes, the placement of the fixed axis may vary depending on the type of rotating motor, such as a horizontal or vertical axis motor. It is important to consult the manufacturer's guidelines for specific placement instructions.