Where to place Gaussian surface

In summary, the net flux of E through any closed surface is equal to the charge inside the surface divided by epsilon_0. For the problem of calculating the electric field between two oppositely charged plates, the Gaussian surface must contain a part of the plates in order to consider the flux of E through both faces of the surface. Placing the surface between the plates without containing any parts of the plates will result in a net flux of zero, but this does not mean that the electric field between the plates is zero. It is important to keep track of the signs and choose the Gaussian surface carefully in order to simplify the calculation.
henry3369

Homework Statement

I'm trying to calculate the electric field through two oppositely charged plates with the same magnitude:
http://imgur.com/uXCQqtW

Homework Equations

Flux = ∫E⋅dA = Qenclosed0

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how the electric field is calculated using S1 and S4, but I have one question:
Why did the Gaussian surface have to contain a part of the plates? I ask this because if the surface was chosen to be between the plates, but not containing any parts of the plates, the electric field would be zero, since Qenclosed is zero and the area, A, as well as ε are both constants. But, the electric field is definitely not zero between the plates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
henry3369 said:

Homework Statement

I'm trying to calculate the electric field through two oppositely charged plates with the same magnitude:
http://imgur.com/uXCQqtW

Homework Equations

Flux = ∫E⋅dA = Qenclosed0

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how the electric field is calculated using S1 and S4, but I have one question:
Why did the Gaussian surface have to contain a part of the plates? I ask this because if the surface was chosen to be between the plates, but not containing any parts of the plates, the electric field would be zero, since Qenclosed is zero and the area, A, as well as ε are both constants. But, the electric field is definitely not zero between the plates.

The net flux is also zero if the flux across S1 and S4 (the opposite sides of the Gaussian surface) are of opposite signs and of equal magnitudes.

Last edited by a moderator:
ehild said:
The net flux is also zero if the flux across S1 and S4 (the opposite sides of the Gaussian surface) are of opposite signs and of equal magnitudes.
I'm not trying to find the net flux of S1 and S4. I'm using either S1 or S4 to find the electric field between the two charged plates. What I don't understand is why I can't use a Gaussian surface such as S1 and place it between the two plates without containing any parts of either plates to find the electric field. Because if it doesn't have any charge in it then E is zero because qenclosed is zero. But there obviously is an electric field between the plates.

You can place the Gaussian surface anywhere you want. The fact that:

Net flux of E through the surface = Charge inside the surface / epsilon_0

is true for any closed surface. If you place the surface with both faces between the plates, then the charge inside the surface is zero, and the net flux of E through the surface is also zero. But this does not mean that E =0 between the plates! There is a flux of E into the surface on one side, and a flux of E out of the surface on the other side, so the net flux of E through the surface is zero. You have to keep track of the signs. If you place the surface so that one face is between the plates and one face is inside the conductor (like S4), the flux of E through the part inside the conductor is zero, so you only have to consider the face inside the plates. The trick in these problems is cleverly choosing your Gaussian surface in order to make the calculation easy.

FAQ: Where to place Gaussian surface

1. Where should I place a Gaussian surface?

The placement of a Gaussian surface depends on the symmetry of the system being studied. It is usually placed in a location where the electric field is constant and easy to calculate. For example, if the system has spherical symmetry, the Gaussian surface is placed at the center of the sphere.

2. Can I place a Gaussian surface inside a charged object?

No, a Gaussian surface cannot be placed inside a charged object. This is because the electric field inside a conductor is zero, and a Gaussian surface is used to calculate the electric field. Placing it inside a charged object would result in an undefined or incorrect calculation.

3. Do I need to place a Gaussian surface around the entire system?

No, a Gaussian surface only needs to enclose the region where the electric field is being calculated. It does not need to encompass the entire system. In fact, placing it around the entire system may make the calculation more complicated than necessary.

4. Can I place multiple Gaussian surfaces in a single system?

Yes, it is possible to place multiple Gaussian surfaces in a single system. This may be necessary for more complex systems with varying symmetries. Each Gaussian surface will have its own separate calculation for the electric field contribution.

5. How do I know if I have placed the Gaussian surface correctly?

If the placement of the Gaussian surface is correct, the calculation for the electric field should be relatively simple and straightforward. Additionally, the electric flux through the Gaussian surface should be constant, indicating that the electric field is constant in that region.