Where Will the Candlelight Go?: Investigating Centrifugal Force

In summary, the candle will be stuck to the bottom of the jar and the centrifugal force will push it towards the edge of the plate.
korec123

Homework Statement

Horizontal plate is rolling around its horizontal axis. On the plate few meters away from this axis there is a jar with a burning candle inside

Homework Equations

Where would go the candlelight/flame , i mean which side would it turn and why

The Attempt at a Solution

I think there are 2 answers for me at the moment.
Normal centrifugal force and the flame would try to escape from this rolling plate (haha i can't say this another way)
Or it wouldn't move beacose jar is new environment/center which don't lead inertial force or flame which is gas beacose of jar wouldn't have to push the air.

Physics news on Phys.org
korec123 said:

Homework Statement

Horizontal plate is rolling around its horizontal axis. On the plate few meters away from this axis there is a jar with a burning candle inside

Homework Equations

Where would go the candlelight/flame , i mean which side would it turn and why

The Attempt at a Solution

I think there are 2 answers for me at the moment.
Normal centrifugal force and the flame would try to escape from this rolling plate (ha-ha i can't say this another way)
Or it wouldn't move because jar is new environment/center which don't lead inertial force or flame which is gas because of jar wouldn't have to push the air.
Hello korec123. Welcome to PF !

I think you need to do a more thorough job of describing the situation here.

Can you post an image for this?

I'm going to guess this is a round horizontal plate spinning on its vertical axis.
Think of a marble in the jar. Where will it go? Why?
A flame is less dense than air. Where will it go?

Hmm, i if there would be a marble , it will go with a jar outside the plate , going with this flame would go opposite way , i mean it would move towards vertical axis.
But what if candle and jar can't move?

korec123 said:
But what if candle and jar can't move?
I think the problem assumes the jar is stuck to the plate and the candle is stuck to the bottom of the jar.

so am i right?

Yes.

Related to Where Will the Candlelight Go?: Investigating Centrifugal Force

What is centrifugal force?

Centrifugal force is the outward force that is experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is caused by the object's inertia pushing against the centripetal force, which is the force that keeps the object moving in a circular path.

How does centrifugal force affect a candle flame?

Centrifugal force causes the candle flame to move away from the center of rotation, as it is pushed outward by the force of the rotating object. This can cause the flame to flicker or even extinguish if the force is strong enough.

What factors affect the strength of centrifugal force?

The strength of centrifugal force is affected by the speed of rotation, the mass of the object, and the distance from the center of rotation. The faster the rotation, the greater the force. Similarly, the larger the mass and the further from the center of rotation an object is, the greater the centrifugal force.

How can I investigate centrifugal force with a candle?

To investigate centrifugal force with a candle, you can attach a small object (such as a paperclip or bead) to a string and light the candle. Hold the string above the candle and rotate it, observing how the object moves away from the center of rotation due to centrifugal force.

What real-world applications does centrifugal force have?

Centrifugal force has many real-world applications, such as in amusement park rides, centrifuges used in laboratories, and even in the Earth's rotation causing the bulging at the equator. Understanding centrifugal force is also important in fields such as engineering and physics.