Where would I find statistics on gpa by major?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of GPA and its importance in the hiring process. The speaker recounts a situation where they were told that a GPA lower than 3.5 would not be considered by an interviewer, which they found extreme. They ask for statistics on this matter and question why there is a focus on hiring only B+ students or higher. Another person points out that 3.5 is not equivalent to a B+ and shares their own experience with a +/- grading system. The speaker also mentions that they were recently informed of an offer from a company, possibly indicating that the interviewer's statement was to test their reaction.
Bhumble
I never really thought that I had a poor gpa until an interviewer said they won't even look at someone with less than a 3.5 gpa. I thought that was a little extreme and it has me wondering where I stack up.
Does anyone know of a place that I could find some statistics on the matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is it extreme to limit your hiring to B+ students and higher?

fss said:
Why is it extreme to limit your hiring to B+ students and higher?

3.5 is not B+. 3.5 is in between A- and B+. That does sound extreme.

My University has a +/- system so an A- is a 3.7 and a B+ is a 3.3. My GPA is 3.32 (pretty much the same overall and in major) and while I admit that I could have studied harder and gotten a better gpa, I was never really embarrassed by it.
I just want to mention on a side note that I was informed by the company HR that they are putting together an offer package for me, so maybe the guy just wanted to see how I would react or something.

There are several sources where you can find statistics on GPA by major. One option is to search for data from reputable organizations such as the National Center for Education Statistics or the College Board. These organizations collect and publish data on various aspects of higher education, including GPAs by major.

You can also try searching for studies or articles that have been published on this topic. Many universities and research institutions conduct studies on GPA and academic performance, and their findings can provide valuable insights into the average GPAs for different majors.

Additionally, you may want to reach out to your own university's career center or academic advising office. They may have access to data on average GPAs for specific majors at your institution.

It's important to keep in mind that GPA is not the only factor that employers consider when evaluating candidates. Your skills, experience, and personal qualities also play a significant role in the hiring process. So while it's important to strive for academic success, don't let your GPA define your worth as a candidate.

Related to Where would I find statistics on gpa by major?

1. Where can I find statistics on GPA by major?

There are several places where you can find statistics on GPA by major. Some common sources include university websites, academic journals, and government databases.

2. How accurate are statistics on GPA by major?

The accuracy of statistics on GPA by major can vary depending on the source and methodology used. It's important to check the credibility and reliability of the source before using the statistics.

3. Are there any trends or patterns in the statistics on GPA by major?

Yes, there may be some trends or patterns in the statistics on GPA by major. For example, some majors may have higher average GPAs compared to others, or there may be a correlation between certain majors and higher GPAs.

4. Can I use statistics on GPA by major to make decisions about my academic career?

Statistics on GPA by major can provide valuable information, but it's important to remember that they are just one factor to consider. It's also important to take into account your own interests, strengths, and goals when making decisions about your academic career.

5. Are there any limitations to using statistics on GPA by major?

Yes, there can be limitations to using statistics on GPA by major. For example, they may not accurately represent the experiences of all students in a particular major, and they may not take into account individual factors such as course difficulty or extracurricular activities.