Where's the mass of an electric field?

In summary, The conversation discusses the relationship between a charged particle and the mass associated with the energy of the electric field. It delves into the issue of the infinite electric field at r=0 and how it is resolved in quantum mechanics. It also explores the question of how much of the mass in the electric field can be attributed to the particle and how to measure the weight of an "uncharged electron." The conversation concludes with the suggestion to move the thread to a different forum for better answers.
ianhoolihan
Hi all,

This is a simple question: if I have a charged particle, and there is a mass [itex]E=mc^2[/itex] associated with the energy of the electric field, where is this mass?

Some points I'm unsure of:

1. Presumably one can integrate the energy density over an infinite volume to get the total stored energy, and calculate the mass. However, is this finite?

2. Part of the problem is that the electric field is infinite at [itex]r=0[/itex] --- how is this reconciled? Quantum mechanically I presume...?

3. If there is a mass in the electric field, how much can be attributed to the particle? If I am to measure the weight of the electron, how much would it differ compared with an "uncharged electron"?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
ianhoolihan said:
1. Presumably one can integrate the energy density over an infinite volume to get the total stored energy, and calculate the mass. However, is this finite?
No, it blows up to infinity.

ianhoolihan said:
2. Part of the problem is that the electric field is infinite at [itex]r=0[/itex] --- how is this reconciled? Quantum mechanically I presume...?
Yes, this is one of the issues that QED takes care of.

ianhoolihan said:
3. If there is a mass in the electric field, how much can be attributed to the particle? If I am to measure the weight of the electron, how much would it differ compared with an "uncharged electron"?
I think the answer is that QED isn't self-consistent if you try to put in uncharged fermions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_gauge_theory#Gauge_bosons (You certainly can't find the mass difference by integrating the energy of the electric field of a point particle, because that's infinite.)

This question would probably attract better answers than mine if moderators moved it to High Energy, Nuclear, & Particle Physics.

ianhoolihan said:
Hi all,

This is a simple question: if I have a charged particle, and there is a mass [itex]E=mc^2[/itex] associated with the energy of the electric field, where is this mass?

From a GR point of view, the energy and momentum of the electric field is distrubuted throughout the field. The energy-momentum tensor of the field of a point particle is ( spherical polar coordinates)
[tex]
T_{\mu\nu}= \frac{8\pi G}{c^2} \left[ \begin{array}{cccc}
\frac{{c}^{4}\,{Q}^{2}}{2\,{r}^{4}} & 0 & 0 & 0\\\
0 & -\frac{{c}^{2}\,{Q}^{2}}{2\,{r}^{4}} & 0 & 0\\\
0 & 0 & \frac{{c}^{2}\,{Q}^{2}}{2\,{r}^{2}} & 0\\\
0 & 0 & 0 & \frac{{c}^{2}\,{sin\left( \theta\right) }^{2}\,{Q}^{2}}{2\,{r}^{2}}
\end{array} \right]
[/tex]
which can be interpreted as energy density = 4πc2GQ2/r4 and momentum terms.

bcrowell said:
No, it blows up to infinity.

Yes, this is one of the issues that QED takes care of.

I think the answer is that QED isn't self-consistent if you try to put in uncharged fermions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_gauge_theory#Gauge_bosons (You certainly can't find the mass difference by integrating the energy of the electric field of a point particle, because that's infinite.)

This question would probably attract better answers than mine if moderators moved it to High Energy, Nuclear, & Particle Physics.

Thanks for clarifying it's infinite.

Do you know how to ask a moderator to move the thread?

ianhoolihan said:
Do you know how to ask a moderator to move the thread?

I've done it. The way to do it is by using the red Report button.

FAQ: Where's the mass of an electric field?

1. Where does the mass of an electric field come from?

The mass of an electric field does not come from a specific source. In fact, electric fields do not have any mass at all. They are a property of charged particles and are created by the interaction of these particles with one another.

2. Does an electric field have a weight?

No, an electric field does not have a weight. Weight is a measurement of the force of gravity on an object, and electric fields are not affected by gravity. They exist independently of any external force.

3. Is the mass of an electric field constant?

The mass of an electric field is not constant. It depends on the strength of the electric field and the distance from the source of the field. As the field weakens with distance, the mass also decreases.

4. How does the mass of an electric field affect its strength?

The mass of an electric field does not directly affect its strength. However, the strength of an electric field depends on the magnitude and direction of the electric charges that create it. As the charges move, the electric field changes and can become stronger or weaker.

5. Can the mass of an electric field be measured?

No, the mass of an electric field cannot be measured. It is a theoretical concept and does not have a physical presence. However, the effects of an electric field can be measured, such as the force it exerts on charged particles.

Back