Which Area Should Be Used to Calculate Shear Stress in a Cheese Grater Scenario?

In summary, the problem involves a rectangular block of cheese clamped in a grater and subjected to a lateral force of 20 N, with a shear modulus of 3.7 kPa. The question is about calculating shear stress and which area to use in the calculation, with the clarification that shear stress is the load normalized to the area of the surface upon which the load acts. The upper surface has an area of 96 cm^2 and the bottom surface has the same area, and the definition of "normalize" is not clear in this context.
negatifzeo

Homework Statement

The bottom surface (8 cm x 12 cm) of a rectangular block of cheese (3 cm thick) is clamped in a cheese grater. The grating mechanism moving across the top surface of the cheese, applies a lateral force of 20 N. The shear modulus, G, of the cheese is 3.7 kPa. Assuming the grater applies the force uniformly to the upper surface, estimate the lateral movement of the upper surface with respect to lower surface?

My question is about shear stress. When calculating shear stress, which is force/area, which area do I use here? The 24 cm^2, or the 96 cm^2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your other choice is 36 cm^2. But the shear stress is the load normalized to the area of the surface upon which the load acts. Does this answer your question?

I think so. I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing which surface the force is applied to from the wording of the problem, but I went ahead and solved using 24 cm^2 as my A.

"Assuming the grater applies the force uniformly to the upper surface..."

Well this is confusing to me. In my notes it says shear stress deals with the force parallel to the area. But you say it is the load normalized to the area of the surface upon which the load acts. Don't these two definitions contradict each other?
And the area of the upper surface would be equal to 96 cm^2, the same as the bottom surface, right?

negatifzeo said:
Well this is confusing to me. In my notes it says shear stress deals with the force parallel to the area. But you say it is the load normalized to the area of the surface upon which the load acts. Don't these two definitions contradict each other?

A parallel (or lateral) load still acts upon an area.

negatifzeo said:
And the area of the upper surface would be equal to 96 cm^2, the same as the bottom surface, right?

Yep.

Thank you very much for helping to clarify this for me!

It depends on what Mapes means here by the word "normalize." Maybe he means something like "average" (?), but I didn't see that definition in the dictionary under "normalize," so I'm not sure.

"Normalized" here just means that the load is divided by area to get a parameter (stress) that's independent of area.

Related to Which Area Should Be Used to Calculate Shear Stress in a Cheese Grater Scenario?

1. What is shear stress?

Shear stress is a type of stress that occurs when two surfaces slide or move in opposite directions along each other, causing deformation of the material.

2. What causes shear stress?

Shear stress is primarily caused by an applied force or load that acts parallel to the surface of a material. It can also be caused by changes in temperature or pressure.

3. How is shear stress measured?

Shear stress is typically measured using a shear stress sensor or strain gauge. These devices measure the force applied to a surface and the resulting deformation, from which shear stress can be calculated.

4. What are the effects of shear stress on materials?

Shear stress can cause materials to deform, bend, or break. It can also lead to fatigue and failure of materials over time.

5. How can shear stress be reduced?

Shear stress can be reduced by using materials with higher strength and ductility, or by designing structures with supports and reinforcements to distribute the applied forces more evenly.