Which book to buy to learn all these? (LCM, GCF)

• Algebra
  • Thread starter awholenumber
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, these are the only things I am trying to learn--nothing more. I would recommend the Factors, Factoring, GCF, and LCM Workbook as a very simple workbook for grades 4-6. There are also many resources on the internet to learn about LCM and GCF.
awholenumber
LCM of

Numbers
Fractions
Rational expressions

GCF of

Numbers
Fractions
Rational expressions

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean the whole thing from the ground up or for which grade(s)?

Likes Wrichik Basu
Yes , from the beginning .These are all the only things i am trying to learn ,nothing more .

In a pdf online , i found this .LCM
Find the prime factorization of each
number in the group.
Make a list of ALL factors, raised
to the HIGHEST power that appears in
any factorization.
Multiply out.

GCF

number in the group.
Make a list of COMMON factors,
raised to the LOWEST power that
appears in any factorization.
Multiply out

That's it ?

awholenumber said:
In a pdf online , i found this .LCM
number in the group.
Make a list of ALL factors, raised
to the HIGHEST power that appears in
any factorization.
Multiply out.

GCF

number in the group.
Make a list of COMMON factors,
raised to the LOWEST power that
appears in any factorization.
Multiply out

That's it ?
These procedures are for finding the LCM (least common multiple) of two or more numbers or the GCF (greatest common factor) of two or more numbers.

In post 1 you asked about the LCM of fractions and rational expression, and the GCF of fractions and rational expression. We don't ordinarily try to find the LCM or GCF of fractions or rational expressions, but we apply these concepts to the denominators of fractions and rational expressions so that we can combine two or more of these expression.

The LCM of a set of numbers or expressions is the smallest expression that is evenly divisible by all members of the set.
Ex. 1: The LCM of 4, 10 and 25 is 100.
4 = 22
10 = 2 * 5
25 = 52
The LCM has to have two factors of 2 and two factors of 5, or 2 * 2 * 5 * 5 = 100

Ex. 2. The LCM of x - 2, 2x - 4 and x2 = 4 is 2(x2 - 4)
x - 2 is already simplified
2x - 4 = 2(x - 2)
x2 - 4 = (x - 2)(x + 2)
The LCM has to contain one factor of x - 2, a factor of 2, and a factor of x + 2, or 2(x - 2)(x + 2) = 2(x2 - 4)

The GCF is used to find the largest expression that evenly divides a set of numbers or expressions.
Ex. 3 The GCF of 40 and 100 is 20.
40 = 23 * 5
100 = 22 * 52
The least number of times 2 appears in both numbers is twice; the least number of times 5 appears is once, so the GCF = 22 * 5 = 20.

The process works in a similar way for algebraic expressions.

Likes awholenumber
Mark44
I understand this now .
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanations .

Related to Which book to buy to learn all these? (LCM, GCF)

What is the best book for learning LCM and GCF?

The best book for learning LCM (Least Common Multiple) and GCF (Greatest Common Factor) would depend on your current understanding and level of knowledge in these concepts. However, some popular books that cover these topics in depth are "Pre-Algebra Essentials Practice Workbook with Answers" by Chris McMullen and "Pre-Algebra: Grades 6-8 (Kumon Math Workbooks)" by Kumon Publishing.

What are the key concepts I should look for in a book about LCM and GCF?

Some key concepts that a book about LCM and GCF should cover include definitions of LCM and GCF, how to find the LCM and GCF of two or more numbers, and how to use LCM and GCF in solving real-life problems. The book should also provide practice questions and examples to reinforce the concepts.

Are there any specific books for learning LCM and GCF for beginners?

Yes, there are many books available specifically for beginners to learn LCM and GCF. These books usually start with basic concepts and gradually build up to more complex problems. Some recommended books for beginners include "LCM and GCF: Using Prime Factorization" by Terry Bazany and "Understanding LCM and GCF: A Beginner's Guide" by James L. Longwell.

Can I find online resources instead of buying a book to learn LCM and GCF?

Yes, there are many online resources available such as video tutorials, interactive games, and practice worksheets that can help you learn LCM and GCF. Some popular websites for learning LCM and GCF are Khan Academy, Math is Fun, and Math Playground. However, a book can provide a structured and comprehensive approach to learning these concepts.

Should I buy a book that covers both LCM and GCF or separate books for each concept?

It depends on your personal preference and learning style. If you prefer to have all the information in one book, then you can choose a book that covers both LCM and GCF. However, if you want to focus on one concept at a time, it may be helpful to have separate books for LCM and GCF. Some books may also cover both concepts in a single chapter, so it's important to check the table of contents before purchasing.