Which book to read the summer before starting Physics?

In summary, the person is starting their first year of Physics at university and wants to get a general overview of the topics covered. They are looking for a book similar to "Calculus made easy" but for Physics that will provide a shallow overview in a few hundred pages. The Feynman lectures and Alonso and Finn's "Fundamentals of University Physics" are recommended as good resources for this purpose.
PhysicsLad
I'm starting my 1st year of Physics at university in September.

Although I've learned a lot of single variable Calculus and various topics of Physics this year, I'd like to get a general overview of the topics touched in a 1st Physics course at uni.

I just wonder if there's an equivalent to those Calculus books like "Calculus made easy" but for Physics, something that gives you a shallow overview of the subject in no more than a few hundred pages, but still gives you an introduction.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Feynman lectures would be a good place for a nice overview, I think. They're hosted for free on Caltech's website.

Alonso and Finn: Fundamentals of University Physics. The author gives a very thorough explanation on the physics ideas. He knows how to tie everything together. The problems can be quite challenging. These books can be considered a good supplementary to the upper division courses.

Related to Which book to read the summer before starting Physics?

1. Which books are recommended for someone starting Physics?

Some popular books recommended for those starting Physics are "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser, "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday and Robert Resnick, and "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman.

2. Are there any books specifically for beginners in Physics?

Yes, there are books specifically catering to beginners in Physics, such as "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca, and "Understanding Physics" by Isaac Asimov.

3. Is it necessary to read books before starting Physics?

While it is not necessary to read books before starting Physics, it can provide a good foundation and understanding of key concepts that will be covered in the course. It can also help to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. Are there any online resources available for reading about Physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for reading about Physics such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Physics Classroom. These resources offer free tutorials, lectures, and practice problems.

5. Can you recommend any books for self-study during the summer before starting Physics?

Sure, some good books for self-study during the summer before starting Physics are "Physics: Principles with Applications" by Douglas C. Giancoli, "Fundamentals of Physics: Mechanics, Relativity, and Thermodynamics" by R. Shankar, and "Introduction to Modern Physics" by John R. Taylor.