Which Books Offer a Geometric Understanding of PDEs?

• Thread starter ank_gl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pdes
In summary, the individual is looking for a good, geometrically intuitive book on PDEs, similar to H M Schey's book on vector calculus. They are seeking to understand the behavior of PDEs when they are elliptic, hyperbolic, or parabolic and are specifically interested in how they behave geometrically. They have heard good things about books by Arnold Vladamir and I G Petrovsky and are looking for reviews. In response, the expert suggests two books that focus on understanding PDEs in practical applications and suggests checking the Math & Science Learning Materials section on PF for additional resources.
ank_gl
Hi

I am looking for a good book on PDEs. By good, I mean geometrically intuitive. Something like H M Schey's book on vector calculus.

I know a bit about solving PDEs, I know they are elliptic, hyperbolic or parabolic, characteristic equation defines the type & that's just about it. What I am trying to understand is, what is PDE when it is elliptic or hyperbolic or parabolic. How does it behave geometrically. For example, for a hyperbolic equation, characteristic equation defines a curve or a surface or something across which functions do not relate.

Right now, I have this book. I heard text by Arnold Vladamir & I G Petrovsky are good. Reviews?

Thanks
Ankit

Physics news on Phys.org
No body is doing PDEs? :(

ank_gl said:
Hi

I am looking for a good book on PDEs. By good, I mean geometrically intuitive. Something like H M Schey's book on vector calculus.

I know a bit about solving PDEs, I know they are elliptic, hyperbolic or parabolic, characteristic equation defines the type & that's just about it. What I am trying to understand is, what is PDE when it is elliptic or hyperbolic or parabolic. How does it behave geometrically. For example, for a hyperbolic equation, characteristic equation defines a curve or a surface or something across which functions do not relate.

I heard text by Arnold Vladamir & I G Petrovsky are good. Reviews?

I'm not familiar with those, but I can recommend Applied Partial Differential Equations by Ockendon et al (Oxford University Press, revised edition 2003). It's not in the same style as Schey but its focus is on understanding PDEs which arise in practical applications rather than on abstract rigourous analysis.

I can also suggest Analytic Methods for Partial Differential Equations by Evans et al (Springer Undergraduate Mathematics Series, 1999).

ank_gl said:
No body is doing PDEs? :(
If one had bothered to look around PF, one would have found the Math & Science Learning Materials section in which one would find Calculus & Beyond Learning Materials in which one would find a thread:
Partial Differential Equations

There are many online resources of course lectures/notes on the subject, and in some cases, on-line textbooks.

Hi Ankit,

It sounds like you have a good understanding of the basics of PDEs, such as their types and how to solve them. To gain a more geometric understanding of PDEs, I would recommend looking into books that focus on the applications of PDEs in specific fields, such as physics or engineering. These books often provide real-world examples and visualizations of how PDEs behave in different situations.

In terms of specific book recommendations, I am not familiar with H M Schey's book on vector calculus, but I have heard good things about Arnold Vladamir's book "Ordinary Differential Equations" and I G Petrovsky's book "Partial Differential Equations" as well. I would suggest reading reviews and checking out sample chapters to see which one resonates with your learning style the most. You could also try reaching out to other scientists or mathematicians in your field for their recommendations.

I hope this helps and good luck with your studies!

Best,

FAQ: Which Books Offer a Geometric Understanding of PDEs?

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves functions of multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to model a wide range of physical phenomena, from heat transfer to fluid dynamics.

2. How are PDEs different from ordinary differential equations (ODEs)?

PDEs involve functions of multiple variables, whereas ODEs involve only one independent variable. This means that PDEs are used to describe phenomena that vary in space and time, while ODEs are used for phenomena that only change over time.

3. What is the intuitive understanding of a PDE?

Intuitively, a PDE represents a relationship between the rate of change of a physical quantity and its spatial and temporal variations. It describes how a quantity changes in a particular direction or at a particular point in space and time.

4. How are PDEs solved?

PDEs can be solved using a variety of techniques, including separation of variables, Fourier transforms, and numerical methods. The choice of method depends on the specific equation and its boundary conditions.

5. What are some real-world applications of PDEs?

PDEs are used in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. Some examples of real-world applications include modeling heat transfer in buildings, predicting weather patterns, and simulating fluid flow in pipes and channels.