Which Books Offer Detailed Explanations for Engineering Mathematics Topics?

In summary, the conversation recommends a moderately rigorous calculus book, such as Stewart Calculus, to learn topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, series, and differential equations. It also suggests using resources such as A First Course in Linear Algebra and Boyce Elementary Differential Equations for further study. The conversation emphasizes the importance of understanding physical problems and laws of cooling, and suggests finding PDF versions of the recommended books for easy access.
judas_priest
A book that goes very much in depth, explaining and reasoning out every topic is the book that I prefer.

The topics I require are:

Unit-I: First order Differential Equations (10)
Formation – Variables seperable – Homogeneous, non Homogeneous, Linear and Bernoulli equations. Exact equations - Applications of first order differential equations – Orthogonal Trajectories, Newton’s law of cooling, law of natural growth and decay.
Unit-II: Higher order Differential Equations (12)
Complete solutions - Rules for finding complementary function - Inverse operator - Rules for finding particular integral - Method of variation of parameters - Cauchy’s and Legendre’s linear equations - Simultaneous linear equations with constant coefficients - Applications of linear differential equations to Oscillatory Electrical circuits L-C, LCR – Circuits - Electromechanical Analogy.
Unit-III: Mean Value Theorems (08)
Rolle’s, Lagrange’s and Cauchy’s mean value theorems. Taylor’s and Maclaurin’s theorems and applications (without proofs).
Unit-IV: Infinite Series (12)
Definitions of convergence, divergence and oscillation of a series - General properties of series - Series of positive terms - Comparison tests - Integral test - D’ Alembert’s Ratio test - Raabe’s test - Cauchy’s root test - Alternating series - Leibnitz’s rule - Power series - Convergence of exponential, Logarithmic and binomial series (without proofs).
Unit-V: Linear Algebra (12)
Rank of a Matrix – Elementary Transformations – Echelon form - Normal form (self study). Consistency of Linear system of equations A X = B and A X = 0. Eigen Values and Eigen Vectors – Properties of eigen values(without proofs) – Cayley – Hamilton theorem (Statement only without proof) – Finding inverse and powers of a square matrix using Cayley– Hamiton theorem – Reduction to diagonal form – Quadratic form - Reduction of Quadratic form into canonical form – Nature of quadratic forms.

Could be 1 book or more.

But like I said I prefer books that go very much in detail like Calculus by G.B Thomas. What a genius of a book!

Physics news on Phys.org
judas_priest said:
A book that goes very much in depth, explaining and reasoning out every topic is the book that I prefer.

The topics I require are:

Unit-I: First order Differential Equations (10)
Formation – Variables seperable – Homogeneous, non Homogeneous, Linear and Bernoulli equations. Exact equations - Applications of first order differential equations – Orthogonal Trajectories, Newton’s law of cooling, law of natural growth and decay.
Unit-II: Higher order Differential Equations (12)
Complete solutions - Rules for finding complementary function - Inverse operator - Rules for finding particular integral - Method of variation of parameters - Cauchy’s and Legendre’s linear equations - Simultaneous linear equations with constant coefficients - Applications of linear differential equations to Oscillatory Electrical circuits L-C, LCR – Circuits - Electromechanical Analogy.
Unit-III: Mean Value Theorems (08)
Rolle’s, Lagrange’s and Cauchy’s mean value theorems. Taylor’s and Maclaurin’s theorems and applications (without proofs).
Unit-IV: Infinite Series (12)
Definitions of convergence, divergence and oscillation of a series - General properties of series - Series of positive terms - Comparison tests - Integral test - D’ Alembert’s Ratio test - Raabe’s test - Cauchy’s root test - Alternating series - Leibnitz’s rule - Power series - Convergence of exponential, Logarithmic and binomial series (without proofs).
Unit-V: Linear Algebra (12)
Rank of a Matrix – Elementary Transformations – Echelon form - Normal form (self study). Consistency of Linear system of equations A X = B and A X = 0. Eigen Values and Eigen Vectors – Properties of eigen values(without proofs) – Cayley – Hamilton theorem (Statement only without proof) – Finding inverse and powers of a square matrix using Cayley– Hamiton theorem – Reduction to diagonal form – Quadratic form - Reduction of Quadratic form into canonical form – Nature of quadratic forms.

Could be 1 book or more.

But like I said I prefer books that go very much in detail like Calculus by G.B Thomas. What a genius of a book!

If you want a moderately rigorous calculus book which will teach limits, derivatives, integrals, series, differential equations and other physical topics, I would recommend Stewart Calculus. I found the 4th edition to be the best personally, but you can get the 7th if you so please. If you look around you can find a PDF quite quickly.

It will give you a very solid foundation of calculus with plenty of practice. Then you can follow it up with an even more rigorous calculus book if you please ( When i say rigorous I mean very proof heavy ) or move right onto multivariate calculus.

There's lots of linear algebra resources out there as well. Once again, depending on how rigorous you want to be you have plenty of choices. If you want a moderately rigorous book to teach you linear algebra, I would recommend A First Course in Linear Algebra from linear ups. They go very in depth and prove almost every theorem thoroughly step by step. Link : http://linear.ups.edu/download.html ( It's free ).

You will learn about systems, matrices, eigens, spaces and much much more. It is a very difficult book, but a great read due to the author making the material interesting. This book will probably be way more than enough for an engineering curriculum.

As for a focus on differential equations as well as physical problems involving laws of cooling and many other things, I would recommend Boyce Elementary Differential Equations 10th edition. It's not TOO proof heavy, but I find the book is very clear about the concepts and calculations. You can probably find a PDF of the 9th version quite quickly which isn't too different.

You will learn to solve ODEs up to the nth order. Laplace transforms and boundary value problems are also included which will be important for you later. Bernoulli among other things is covered as well.

Hope this helps.

Zondrina said:
If you want a moderately rigorous calculus book which will teach limits, derivatives, integrals, series, differential equations and other physical topics, I would recommend Stewart Calculus. I found the 4th edition to be the best personally, but you can get the 7th if you so please. If you look around you can find a PDF quite quickly.

It will give you a very solid foundation of calculus with plenty of practice. Then you can follow it up with an even more rigorous calculus book if you please ( When i say rigorous I mean very proof heavy ) or move right onto multivariate calculus.

There's lots of linear algebra resources out there as well. Once again, depending on how rigorous you want to be you have plenty of choices. If you want a moderately rigorous book to teach you linear algebra, I would recommend A First Course in Linear Algebra from linear ups. They go very in depth and prove almost every theorem thoroughly step by step. Link : http://linear.ups.edu/download.html ( It's free ).

You will learn about systems, matrices, eigens, spaces and much much more. It is a very difficult book, but a great read due to the author making the material interesting. This book will probably be way more than enough for an engineering curriculum.

As for a focus on differential equations as well as physical problems involving laws of cooling and many other things, I would recommend Boyce Elementary Differential Equations 10th edition. It's not TOO proof heavy, but I find the book is very clear about the concepts and calculations. You can probably find a PDF of the 9th version quite quickly which isn't too different.

You will learn to solve ODEs up to the nth order. Laplace transforms and boundary value problems are also included which will be important for you later. Bernoulli among other things is covered as well.

Hope this helps.

Hey, thank you for your reply. I think highly rigorous is what I prefer. I'm not saying I'm the best at Calculus, but single variable calculus has been my strongest subject so far, and I've solved questions from pretty good books known for its rigorous approach like TMH, Integral calculs by arihant publications, etc.

These books, although very good, do not teach the concepts as to how and why. They are more technique/tricks based. I prefer books like G.B Thomas which are thorough with concepts, and go to the deepest of the subject.

I will surely check out the books you recommended and get back to you!

I think I'm looking for more of multivariable calculus. I've been doing single variable for last year and a half, and now I'm a fresher to Electronics and Instrumentation engineering. Most of our syllabus for first semester involves multivariable calculus and other stuff that I mentioned in the description of the question.

judas_priest said:
Hey, thank you for your reply. I think highly rigorous is what I prefer. I'm not saying I'm the best at Calculus, but single variable calculus has been my strongest subject so far, and I've solved questions from pretty good books known for its rigorous approach like TMH, Integral calculs by arihant publications, etc.

These books, although very good, do not teach the concepts as to how and why. They are more technique/tricks based. I prefer books like G.B Thomas which are thorough with concepts, and go to the deepest of the subject.

I will surely check out the books you recommended and get back to you!

I think I'm looking for more of multivariable calculus. I've been doing single variable for last year and a half, and now I'm a fresher to Electronics and Instrumentation engineering. Most of our syllabus for first semester involves multivariable calculus and other stuff that I mentioned in the description of the question.

These books, although very good, do not teach the concepts as to how and why

I don't know too many rigorous differential equation resources because DEs are used to solve physical problems for the most part. Even so, Boyce also covers existence and uniqueness and some theoretical topics of DEs in his book. You can choose to read through those if you like, but I don't think they will be very useful to you in engineering.

If you want to turn up the heat for calculus, I would recommend you read Advanced Calculus by Taylor 3rd edition. It goes over single variable calculus all over again with a much much more rigorous approach. Then it moves into real numbers and analysis for awhile to give you a much more intuitive understanding of what's going on. Then it will cover extensions of the laws of the mean.

After sending your brain for a loop there ^ it jumps right into a bit of topology and point set theory before it starts multivariate calculus ( Which it also does very very thoroughly ). Limits, derivatives, integrals, sequences and series are all emphasized. Uniform convergence, lots of physical problems and other very interesting topics are covered.

As for the linear algebra, I think you will like the book a lot then :).

I understand the importance of having a thorough understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications in engineering. From your description, it seems like you are looking for a comprehensive book that covers a wide range of topics in engineering mathematics.

I would recommend the book "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Erwin Kreyszig. This book covers all the topics you have mentioned and more, in great detail. It explains the concepts with clear explanations, examples, and illustrations. It also includes numerous real-world applications of the mathematical concepts, making it a valuable resource for engineers.

Another book that I would suggest is "Engineering Mathematics" by John Bird. This book covers all the topics in your list and also includes additional topics such as Laplace transforms and Fourier series. It also has a large number of practice problems and exercises to help you strengthen your understanding of the concepts.

Both of these books are widely used by engineering students and professionals and have received positive reviews for their comprehensive coverage and clear explanations. They also have accompanying solution manuals and online resources, making them a complete package for self-study or classroom use.

In conclusion, I believe these books would be a perfect fit for your requirements. They are detailed, well-structured, and provide a solid foundation in engineering mathematics. I hope you find them helpful in your studies and research.

FAQ: Which Books Offer Detailed Explanations for Engineering Mathematics Topics?

1. What is Engineering Mathematics?

Engineering Mathematics is the application of mathematical principles and methods to solve problems in engineering and technology. It involves the use of mathematical concepts such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra to analyze and design systems and processes in various fields of engineering.

2. Why do engineers need to study Mathematics?

Mathematics is essential for engineers because it provides them with the necessary tools and techniques to solve complex problems and make accurate predictions. Engineers use mathematics to model and analyze real-world systems, design structures and processes, and optimize performance.

3. What topics are typically covered in Engineering Mathematics books?

Engineering Mathematics books cover a wide range of topics, including calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, probability and statistics, numerical methods, and complex analysis. They also include applications of these topics in various fields of engineering, such as mechanical, electrical, and civil engineering.

4. How can Engineering Mathematics books be helpful for students?

Engineering Mathematics books can be helpful for students by providing them with a comprehensive and systematic understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications in engineering. They also offer practice problems and examples to improve problem-solving skills and prepare for exams.

5. What are some recommended Engineering Mathematics books for beginners?

Some recommended Engineering Mathematics books for beginners include "Engineering Mathematics" by K.A. Stroud, "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Erwin Kreyszig, and "Engineering Mathematics: A Foundation for Electronic, Electrical, Communications, and Systems Engineers" by Anthony Croft and Robert Davison. These books are well-structured, easy to understand, and cover all the essential topics in Engineering Mathematics.