Which Books Simplify Weights and Roots in Lie Algebra?

In summary, the conversation is about studying Lie Algebra in Particle Physics and finding the notes on Weights and Roots confusing. The person asks for book recommendations and receives suggestions for books by Humphreys, Hsiang, and Brian Hall. They specify that they are looking for a more physics-oriented book but will still try the recommended options. One of the books, Hsiang's "Lectures on Lie groups," is noted as being more math-oriented with no applications to physics.
praharmitra
Hi,

I am currently studying Lie Algebra in Particle Physics' by Howard Georgi. I am finding the notes on Weights and Roots quite confusing. Can anyone suggest another book which explains this bit in a better fashion?

Physics news on Phys.org
praharmitra said:
Hi,

I am currently studying Lie Algebra in Particle Physics' by Howard Georgi. I am finding the notes on Weights and Roots quite confusing. Can anyone suggest another book which explains this bit in a better fashion?

Humphreys,
Introduction to Lie algebras and representation theory

See also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight_(representation_theory )

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are mathematically inclined, this is a good one:

Hsiang - Lectures on Lie groups

Thanks for the replies. I will try out the books you have mentioned. However, ii was looking for a book that is more physics orientated. I will try both nonetheless.

The one by Brian Hall is nice, but not at all physics oriented. I haven't had time to read the whole book though. The definitions of roots and weights is roughly where I stopped reading, so I can't really comment on the material after that (but the definitions were easy enough to understand).

Last edited:
torquil said:
If you are mathematically inclined, this is a good one:

Hsiang - Lectures on Lie groups

Perhaps I should also mention that this one has absolutely nothing to do with physics, i.e. no applications to physics. Just math.

Related to Which Books Simplify Weights and Roots in Lie Algebra?

1. What is representation theory?

Representation theory is a branch of mathematics that studies abstract algebraic structures by representing their elements as linear transformations of vector spaces. It has applications in many areas of mathematics, including group theory, algebraic geometry, and number theory.

2. How are books in representation theory useful?

Books in representation theory provide a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of the subject, covering its foundations, developments, and applications. They serve as valuable resources for researchers, students, and educators, helping them to gain a deeper understanding of the theory and its applications.

3. What are some common topics covered in books on representation theory?

Some common topics covered in books on representation theory include group representations, Lie algebras, character theory, representation rings, and their applications in physics, chemistry, and other fields. They also often discuss related topics such as representation categories, homological methods, and geometric representation theory.

4. Who can benefit from reading books on representation theory?

Books on representation theory can benefit a wide range of readers, including mathematicians, physicists, chemists, and researchers in other fields. They can also be useful for students at the undergraduate and graduate levels who are interested in learning about abstract algebra and its applications.

5. Are there any recommended books on representation theory?

Yes, there are several highly recommended books on representation theory, including "Representation Theory: A First Course" by William Fulton and Joe Harris, "Representation Theory of Finite Groups" by Benjamin Steinberg, and "Introduction to Representation Theory" by Pavel Etingof, et al. It is also recommended to consult with a mathematics advisor or colleague for personalized recommendations based on individual interests and level of expertise.