Which chemical makes a basic sol'n? (MC)

• Thread starter Jules18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary: I think this is referring to the products of the ionic reactions, not the ions themselves. For example, NaCl would produce Na+ and Cl- ions.
Jules18

Homework Statement

Which of the following salts forms a basic solution when dissolved in water?
(A) NaCl
(B) (NH4)2SO4
(C) CuSO4
(D) K2CO3
(E) NH4NO3

2. The attempt at a solution

The way I understand, they would all dissociate like this:
NaCl(s) --> Na(+) + Cl(-)

I'm pretty sure the Cl(-) is a Bronsted base, or anything with a -ve charge, but as for the solution as a whole being basic, I'm not sure what they're asking...

Basically I'm screwed. Is this something you have to just know already?
Can anyone help me figure this out or refer me to a helpful resource?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jules18 said:

Homework Statement

2. The attempt at a solution

The way I understand, they would all dissociate like this:
NaCl(s) --> Na(+) + Cl(-)

I'm pretty sure the Cl(-) is a Bronsted base, or anything with a -ve charge, but as for the solution as a whole being basic, I'm not sure what they're asking...

Basically I'm screwed. Is this something you have to just know already?
Can anyone help me figure this out or refer me to a helpful resource?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acids_and_bases

Does that help?

Construct chemical equations and react all the chemicals with H2O to see what they produce.

Just because a chemical is a Bronsted-Lowry base does not necessarily mean it produces a basic solution. For example, NaCl does not produce a basic solution, but Cl- is a Bronsted-Lowry base.

kldickson said:
Cl- is a Bronsted-Lowry base.

Extremally weak one, we should add.

--

So, the question is referring to the products and not the ions that react?

In a way... basic solution is the one with high pH, so OH- must be an important product. But you have to think about which ions in water will be a source of OH-.

--

FAQ: Which chemical makes a basic sol'n? (MC)

What is a basic solution?

A basic solution is a type of solution that has a pH level greater than 7. It contains more hydroxide ions (OH-) than hydrogen ions (H+), making it alkaline.

What is the pH range for a basic solution?

The pH range for a basic solution is 7-14. The higher the pH, the more basic the solution is.

Which chemical makes a basic solution?

The chemical that makes a basic solution is a base, also known as an alkali. Examples of bases include sodium hydroxide (NaOH), potassium hydroxide (KOH), and ammonia (NH3).

What happens when you mix a base with water?

When a base is mixed with water, it dissociates into its component ions - hydroxide (OH-) and a cation. The hydroxide ions give the solution its basic properties by reacting with the water to form more OH- ions.

Can you make a basic solution with just any chemical?

No, not all chemicals can make a basic solution. Only substances that contain hydroxide ions (OH-) can make a basic solution. Other substances, such as acids, will not produce a basic solution.

Back