Which Compound Is More Soluble in Water: Heptanoic Acid or 1-Octanol?

• Thread starter BlueScreenOD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, heptanoic acid is expected to be more soluble in water due to its increased hydrogen bonding. Additionally, 1-propanol is more soluble in water compared to 2-propanone due to the presence of an oxygen atom capable of hydrogen bonding. Alcohols, ethers, and epoxides with less than or equal to 5 carbon atoms are generally water-soluble due to their ability to form hydrogen bonds, while those with more than 5 carbon atoms are insoluble due to the non-polar alkyl portion being too large to dissolve in water.
BlueScreenOD

Homework Statement

Which compound would you expect to be more soluble in water: heptanoic acid or 1-octanol?

Which of the compounds has the greater solubility in water and why?
2-Propanone or 1-Propanol

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe for the first question that the answer is heptanoic acid because it has increased hydrogen bonding. I think the second answer is alcohol for the same reason.

I have an exam tomorrow, so if anyone could clear this up I'd be very appreciative.

Physics news on Phys.org
"alcohols, ethers and epoxides having less than or 5 carbon atoms are water soluble because they each have an oxygen atom capable of hydrogen bonding."

"alcohols, ethers and epoxides having more than 5 carbon atoms are insoluble because the non-polar alkyl portion is too large to dissolve in water"

Thanks for your reply Cronxeh. I know they're both soluble, but what I need to know is which is MORE soluble.

Related to Which Compound Is More Soluble in Water: Heptanoic Acid or 1-Octanol?

1. What factors affect solubility in water?

The two main factors that affect solubility in water are temperature and pressure. In general, solubility increases with increasing temperature and decreases with increasing pressure. Other factors such as the nature of the solute and solvent, the size and shape of the molecules, and the presence of other substances can also affect solubility.

2. How does the polarity of a substance affect its solubility in water?

Polarity is a major factor in determining the solubility of a substance in water. Substances with polar molecules, such as salts and sugars, are generally more soluble in water because they can form strong interactions with the polar water molecules. Nonpolar substances, on the other hand, are less soluble in water because they cannot form strong interactions with the polar water molecules.

3. What is the difference between "miscible" and "soluble" in water?

These terms are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between them. Soluble refers to a substance that can dissolve in water to form a homogeneous solution, while miscible refers to two liquids that can mix and form a homogeneous solution. Therefore, all substances that are miscible in water are also soluble, but not all soluble substances are miscible in water.

4. Can the pH of a solution affect solubility?

Yes, the pH of a solution can affect the solubility of certain substances. For example, some substances, such as weak acids and bases, may become more soluble in water as the pH of the solution changes. This is because the pH can alter the charge on the molecules, making them more or less likely to interact with water molecules.

5. Is there a limit to how much of a substance can dissolve in water?

Yes, there is a limit to how much of a substance can dissolve in water, known as the solubility limit. This limit is determined by the temperature and pressure of the solution, as well as the nature of the solute and solvent. Once this limit is reached, any additional solute added will not dissolve and will instead form a separate phase, such as a precipitate.