Which EE field is more applicable in industry?

In summary, the person is seeking advice for choosing a minor in the field of electrical engineering as they have already chosen Solid State & MEMS as their major. They are considering choosing either Embedded Systems, Integrated Circuits, Electromagnetics, Photonics/Plasma, Communication Systems, Control Systems, or Signal Processing. They did their undergrad in physics and are unsure which field would be most useful in industry. They are leaning towards Embedded Systems or Integrated Circuits due to their traditional and broad applicability, but are also considering Control Systems. Another person suggests looking into RF and Microwave if they are good in Electromagnetics.
yllihp
I’m about to start my masters in EE and I need to choose a major and minor out of the EE fields listed below. I’ve already chosen Solid State & MEMS as my major, but I can’t decide what to minor in! Help please?

Which of these fields within EE is most applicable in industry? Which field would get me employed outside of academia or without going all the way for a phd?

- Embedded Systems
- Integrated Circuits
- Electromagnetics
- Photonics/Plasma
- Solid State & MEMS
- Communication Systems
- Control Systems
- Signal Processing

I did my undergrad in physics, so Electromagnetics or Photonics/Plasma would probably be the easiest for me, but I’m not sure how useful these fields would be in industry….

I’m thinking of going for Embedded Systems or Integrated Circuits just because they sound very traditional (hence more applicable to industry?). Then again, Control Systems also sounds quite broad and applicable to a huge range of things…What do you guys suggest?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Integrated circuits. If you are good in EM, look into RF and Microwave. Everything is done in an integrated circuits.

Related to Which EE field is more applicable in industry?

1. What are the most in-demand EE fields in the industry?

The most in-demand EE fields in the industry currently include telecommunications, computer engineering, power and energy, control systems, and electronics design and manufacturing.

2. Which EE field offers the highest salary potential in industry?

According to recent data, the EE field with the highest salary potential in industry is power and energy engineering, followed by telecommunications and computer engineering.

3. Is it better to specialize in a specific EE field or have a broad knowledge of multiple fields?

It depends on your career goals and the specific industry you are interested in. Some industries may value a broad knowledge of multiple EE fields, while others may prefer specialized expertise in a specific field.

4. How can I stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in my chosen EE field?

Attending conferences, networking with professionals in the industry, and regularly reading industry publications and research papers are all great ways to stay informed about the latest advancements in your chosen EE field.

5. Are there any EE fields that are becoming obsolete in the industry?

While the demand for certain EE fields may fluctuate, there are no fields that are becoming completely obsolete in the industry. However, it is important to stay updated with current trends and advancements to ensure your skills remain relevant and in-demand.