Which Electives Should I Take for My Engineering Degree?

In summary, the person is currently enrolled in a transfer program at their local college and is deciding on which electives to take for their engineering degree. They are leaning towards mechanical engineering and are wondering which of the listed classes would benefit them the most. The classes include programming in C, statics, mechanics of materials, thermodynamics, dynamics, circuit theory, digital logic design, and general physics. The responder suggests taking statics as it provides fundamental basics for many upper level ME classes.
dudesknight
I'm currently in a transfer program at my local college. I have a few choices on what electives to take for my engineering degree, and I'm looking towards mechanical engineering (I'm fairly sure it will be mechanical but it's possibly I may go for electrical in the future). I was wondering which of these classes would benefit me the most?

9-12 credits from the following:

Programming in C for Engineering ... 3 credits
Statics ........ 3 credits
Mechanics of Materials ... 3 credits
Thermodynamics ...... 3 credits
Dynamics ........ 3 credits
Circuit Theory ...... 4 credits
Digital Logic Design ..... 4 credits
General Physics 3 ...... 3 credits

Engineering news on Phys.org
All of the classes you have listed (except for digital logic maybe) are absolutely required for an ME curriculum. So take your pick...

I have touched on all those topics during my time at University. Apart from programming in C (which I believe I will touch upon during my final year as I'm going into robotics.

Personally I would take statics because it provides the fundamental basics for many of the upper level ME classes.

FAQ: Which Electives Should I Take for My Engineering Degree?

What are college elective classes?

College elective classes are courses that are not required for a specific major or degree. They allow students to explore different subjects and broaden their educational experience.

How many college elective classes do I need to take?

The number of college elective classes required varies between colleges and universities. Some institutions have a set number of electives that must be taken, while others have more flexible requirements. It is important to check with your academic advisor or the school's website for specific information.

Can I take any college elective class?

Most colleges and universities have a list of approved elective classes. These are typically courses that have been deemed relevant and beneficial for students' overall education. However, some schools may allow students to petition for a class to count as an elective if it is not on the approved list.

Do college elective classes count towards my GPA?

Yes, college elective classes count towards your GPA. Just like required classes, your performance in elective courses will be factored into your overall grade point average.

How do I choose the right college elective classes?

Choosing the right college elective classes depends on your personal interests, academic goals, and future career plans. Consider talking to your academic advisor, exploring different subject areas, and reading course descriptions to help you make an informed decision.