Which element has "stronger" radiation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the danger of two radioactive isotopes, 3H and 235U. The speaker believes that 3H is less dangerous due to its weaker beta-radiation, while their friend argues that 3H is more dangerous due to its shorter half-life and lighter nuclei. The speaker is unsure which argument is correct and notes that the level of danger depends on various factors such as the type of exposure and the amount of the isotope.
smth
Sorry if I am asking a stupid question. I recently had an argument with my friend which among this two is more dangerous: 3H or 235U(not considering its decay chain products). I was under the impression that 3H has an effective dose about 1000 times smaller than 235U due to its weak beta-radiation. Various sources seem to confirm my guess that at least per *activity* tritium is one of the least dangerous radiactive iostope. However my friend said because tritium has a shorter-half life and lighter nuclei, it has very high activity/gram rate, about 10^11 higher than 235U which means it is in fact "millions of times of more dangerous" than 235U.

His argument sounds convincing but a little contradictory to what I was originally impressed. I know 235U itself isn't that dangerous as media reported but I never thought it is "millions of times of safer" than tritium...

So is he correct on this argument? Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
"Dangerous" is not an intrinsic property of atoms. Are you talking the same activity or the same mass or the same volume or...? Are you inhaling, ingesting, touching or at a distance from the source? All of these influence risk.

FAQ: Which element has "stronger" radiation?

1. Which element has the strongest radiation?

The element with the strongest radiation is radium (Ra), which has a half-life of 1,600 years and produces alpha, beta, and gamma radiation.

2. How is radiation strength measured?

Radiation strength is measured in terms of the amount of energy released per unit of time, also known as the radiation dose. It is typically measured in grays (Gy) or sieverts (Sv) for ionizing radiation.

3. Can different elements have the same radiation strength?

Yes, different elements can have the same radiation strength, as it depends on the isotope of the element and not the element itself. Isotopes with the same number of protons but different numbers of neutrons can have different levels of radiation strength.

4. How does the radiation strength of an element affect its properties?

The radiation strength of an element can affect its properties in various ways. High levels of radiation can cause damage to the atomic structure of the element, leading to changes in its physical and chemical properties. It can also make the element unstable and prone to radioactive decay.

5. Is there a safe level of radiation for humans?

Yes, there is a safe level of radiation for humans. The recommended limit for annual radiation exposure for the general public is 1 millisievert (mSv), and for radiation workers, it is 20 mSv. However, any level of radiation exposure carries some risk, and it is important to minimize exposure as much as possible.