Which engineering stream should I take?

In summary: Summary truncated) In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's concerns and confusion about choosing a specific area of engineering to pursue. They have interests in engineering physics, software engineering, mechatronics, electrical engineering, and mechanical engineering, but are unsure about the job market and versatility of each field. They also mention the option of taking a 5-year program in Engineering & Management or Engineering & Society. They seek insight into the industries and job prospects, as well as advice on making their decision.
RMnumbers
I'm not sure if this should go in the Careers forum, since that's a lot of my concern, so sorry in advance if this is in the wrong place.

I've finished my first year of engineering at McMaster University (in Ontario) and currently have very little idea of which area of engineering to go into. I'm bouncing between engineering physics, electrical engineering, mechatronics and software. I've gone to info sessions, and talked to professors and upper year students. They've given some good information, but they all basically claim that theirs is the best and qualify it with "do what you love" (ME went so far as to say they can do anything). I love all of these, and I'll probably keep up with them all for as long as I can, but I was hoping for some more realistic, unbiased advice that hopefully actually deals with industry. Academia looks good too, but it's a long shot so I figure I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Some background on my choices:

--------------------------------------------------
All degrees are CEAB (like ABET but with maple syrup and hockey) accredited.

Engineering Physics: Looks like *really* incredible work, and the idea of being on the leading edge of future technology is exciting. At McMaster I can keep general or split into Nuclear, Photonics, or Micro and nano devices. We have good resources (CANDU reactor, good electron microscope, etc.) for each. My biggest fear is the job market. My second biggest fear is that the "amazing new technology" type jobs are actually few and far between. Don't want to be mislead by poster children. And I have no experience doing physics like this outside of class, unlike the other fields, so it's slightly more of a gamble.

Software: I've been programming for years and love it, but I'm getting the impression that software engineers are really just systems engineers. I'm used to lower level design and programming (simple games, simulations, etc.) so I'm not really sure how much I'd enjoy this. I am doing research with the computing and software department in the summer though, so we'll see how that goes I guess.

Mechatronics: brings a lot of things I enjoy together, which is nice. Doesn't go very in depth into anyone of them, which is less nice. Also it's only a few years old and isn't very well known in the area. I'm not sure how useful a mechatronics degree is, but I do know that employers don't request it very often. Looks interesting, but part of me feels that robotics would be better handled with a pure EE or ME degree.

Electrical: looks very versatile, which is part of what I'm looking for. Can involve a lot of physics or programming/computer stuff. I can specialize into computer or bioelectrical if I want, which sounds interesting.

Mechanical: not for the big machinery kind of things, but the info session kind of hinted that it had interesting links to various technology industries (televisions, some computer stuff, etc.). They also offer a MEMS course, but I assume that's more Eng Phys territory. The whole presentation sounded a bit too good to be true in terms of versatility.

I can also take a 5 year program with anyone of these and do Engineering&Management, which puts you 1 year away from an MBA, and Engineering&Society, which focuses on sustainability issues and the like while allowing you to focus on a minor.
--------------------------------------------------

I guess my questions boil down to:

1. What is working in these industries actually like? I get that the work varies a lot, but something like the tools you use or typical projects that you might work on would be nice.

2. How heavily should I consider job prospects here? What are they like for each? I have an 11.7 (out of 12), I'm on full scholarship (for academics) with an almost guaranteed co-op, and have a research position. But I've heard of even PhD students not finding work, so I really don't know how to put what little information I do have into a meaningful context.

3. How versatile is the work for each? I get bored relatively quickly (I jump between programming, robotics, math and physics periodically), and while I'm sure engineering will mitigate a lot of that, taking on different roles and working on different technologies (or at least having the option) would be a huge plus for me.

4. How employable would you think the 5 year programs are? Do they seem worth it? An academic advisor told me that the Management program is very employable, Society less so, but they both provide benefits. But I've heard from some employers that it wouldn't make much of a difference most of the time. is employability even a good reason to do these? AARGH

My biggest issue is that I don't really know what I want to do with my degree. If anyone could give me insight into these industries, or their own experiences if they had similar concerns, I'd be very grateful. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Also, please tell me if I'm overthinking everything. That would be helpful too. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

I can understand your concerns and confusion about choosing a specific area of engineering to pursue. It's important to consider both your interests and the job market when making this decision. Here are my thoughts on your questions:

1. Working in these industries can vary greatly depending on the specific job and company. However, in general, engineering physics may involve more research and development of new technologies, while software engineering may involve more systems design and development. Mechatronics can involve a combination of mechanical, electrical, and software engineering to design and develop complex systems. Electrical engineering can involve a wide range of industries, from power and energy to electronics and telecommunications. Mechanical engineering can also have a wide range of applications, from designing machinery and products to working in industries such as automotive and aerospace. It's important to research specific job roles and companies to get a better understanding of the day-to-day work.

2. Job prospects can vary for each of these fields, and it's important to do your own research on the job market in your area. In general, software engineering and electrical engineering tend to have good job prospects, but this can also depend on the specific industry and company. It's also important to keep in mind that job prospects can change over time, so it's important to have a strong foundation in your chosen field and to continue learning and developing new skills.

3. The versatility of work can also vary for each field. In general, software engineering and electrical engineering may have more versatility in terms of working on different projects and technologies. However, it's also possible to have a diverse range of experiences in other fields, such as mechatronics and mechanical engineering, depending on the specific job and company.

4. The 5 year programs can be beneficial in terms of gaining additional skills and knowledge, as well as potentially making you more marketable to employers. However, it's important to also consider the time and financial commitment of these programs and whether they align with your career goals. It's also important to keep in mind that employability is not the only factor to consider when choosing a program, as your personal interests and goals should also play a role.

In terms of overthinking everything, it's important to take the time to carefully consider your options and gather information, but it's also important to trust your instincts and make a decision that feels right for you. It's also important to remember that your career path may not be a straight line, and you

Related to Which engineering stream should I take?

1. What is the difference between the various engineering streams?

Each engineering stream focuses on a different aspect of technology and problem-solving. For example, mechanical engineering deals with the design and operation of machines, while electrical engineering focuses on the study and application of electricity and electronics. It is important to research and understand the differences between streams to determine which one aligns with your interests and skills.

2. How do I choose the right engineering stream for me?

Choosing the right engineering stream depends on your individual strengths, interests, and career goals. It is important to consider factors such as your academic performance in related subjects, your passion for a particular field, and future job prospects before making a decision. It may also be helpful to talk to professionals in various engineering fields to gain a better understanding of their day-to-day responsibilities.

3. Are certain engineering streams more in demand than others?

Yes, the demand for different engineering streams can vary depending on the current job market and industry trends. Some streams, such as computer science and software engineering, are currently in high demand due to the growing technology sector. However, it is important to choose a stream that aligns with your interests and skills rather than solely focusing on job demand.

4. Can I switch engineering streams after starting my studies?

While it is possible to switch engineering streams, it may require additional coursework and time to complete your degree. It is important to thoroughly research and choose the right stream before starting your studies to avoid any delays or complications. However, if you realize your chosen stream is not the right fit for you, it is possible to make a switch with proper planning and guidance from your academic advisor.

5. How do I know if I have the necessary skills for a particular engineering stream?

Engineering requires a strong foundation in math and science, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Research the specific requirements and coursework for your desired engineering stream to determine if you have the necessary skills. It may also be helpful to speak with current engineering students or professionals in your desired field to gain insight into the skills needed for success in that particular stream.