Which equation should be used to calculate electric potential?

In summary, the two ways of calculating electric potential, ΔV = Vb - Va = -Ed and Va-Vb = Ed, are essentially the same. The difference in sign arises because potential is measured in terms of work done, so the negative sign is necessary when equating it to the electric field.
henry3369

Homework Statement

So I've read two difference textbooks for electric potential and both of them define them in a different way and I'm confused as to which method I use because they yield results with different signs.

The two ways I've seen it are:
1. ΔV = Vb - Va = -Ed

2. Va-Vb = Ed

Do both of these mean the same thing? I was doing a few problems today using equation 1, and I kept getting the correct magnitude, but wrong sign (usually solved and got negative, but it was positive).

Homework Equations

ΔV = Vb - Va = -Ed
Va-Vb = Ed

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
henry3369 said:

Homework Statement

So I've read two difference textbooks for electric potential and both of them define them in a different way and I'm confused as to which method I use because they yield results with different signs.

The two ways I've seen it are:
1. ΔV = Vb - Va = -Ed

2. Va-Vb = Ed

Do both of these mean the same thing? I was doing a few problems today using equation 1, and I kept getting the correct magnitude, but wrong sign (usually solved and got negative, but it was positive).

Homework Equations

ΔV = Vb - Va = -Ed
Va-Vb = Ed

The Attempt at a Solution

They are the same.

What is ##\displaystyle\ -(V_b-V_a) \ ## ?

Since potential is measured in terms of work done per unit charge, if a charge is moved between two points against the field, then work done is positive and naturally , potential is greater at the second point, so the difference in potential is : (Potential at 2nd point)-(Potential at first point).Thus this potential is positive.However, as mentioned, this work shall be done against the field, so if you are equating change in potential to field, the negative sign is compulsory.
Thus, Difference in potential is necessarily Vb-Va, if b is the second point.
If you are equating this to El. field, then the above difference in potential is equated to -Ed (Notice the negative sign applied here...)

FAQ: Which equation should be used to calculate electric potential?

What is the electric potential equation and how is it used?

The electric potential equation, also known as the voltage equation, is a mathematical expression that calculates the electric potential at a certain point in an electric field. It is used to determine the potential difference between two points and to understand the behavior of electric charges in a given electric field.

What are the units for the electric potential equation?

The units for the electric potential equation are joules per coulomb (J/C) or volts (V). This represents the amount of work done per unit charge to move a charge from one point to another in an electric field.

What factors affect the electric potential in an electric field?

The electric potential in an electric field is affected by the magnitude and direction of the electric field, the distance between the two points, and the amount and sign of the charge at each point. The electric potential also depends on the medium in which the electric field exists.

What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge, while electric potential energy is the potential energy that a charge possesses due to its position in an electric field. In other words, electric potential is a property of the electric field itself, while electric potential energy is a property of the charged particles within the electric field.

How is the electric potential equation related to Coulomb's law?

The electric potential equation is closely related to Coulomb's law, as both are used to describe the behavior of charges in an electric field. While Coulomb's law calculates the force between two charged particles, the electric potential equation calculates the potential difference between two points in an electric field. This potential difference can then be used to determine the force between the two points using Coulomb's law.

Back