Which Formulas Solve These Physics Problems?

• Thread starter zoiberg137
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of formulas for physics problems. Specifically, the questions are about the rate at which a protostar with a given temperature radiates and the wavelength of light emitted from a galaxy moving away from Earth. The formulas mentioned for these problems are Weins law and the Doppler shift formula. However, there is confusion about the use of the formulas and further clarification is needed.
zoiberg137
I've memorized all the formulas I need for my first intro to physics class...But I am still trying to get familiar with what formula to use for what problem. Here are two questions. If someone could tell me what formula i would use to solve them, that would be great!

1. At what rate does a protostar with a temperature of 2500k radiate most strongly?

(I'm thinking that we would want to use weins laws that states lambda max is equal to 1/temp. But 1/2500k does not give me a wavelength...)

2. In a far away galaxy, light is emitted with an average wavelength of 450nm. If this galaxy is moving away from Earth at a rate of 1.3*E8 m/s, what wavelength of light will we see?

(So if its moving away that tells us that it will be a redshift...But how do we get the exact wavelength? I'm thinking that we would divide the recessional velocity of 1.3*E8 by our constant 3*E8, which would give us 2.31m. And then we would say that our

change in wavelnth/true wavelenght of 450 = to 2.31 m/s

Am I on the right track here? This gives me 1038, but I'm guessing I need to convert one of these two first. Or maybe I'm doing this completely wrong...)

P.S.-You people have been awesome with your previous help. I hope that one day I am able to answer peoples questions!

Physics news on Phys.org
zoiberg137 said:
1. At what rate does a protostar with a temperature of 2500k radiate most strongly?

(I'm thinking that we would want to use weins laws that states lambda max is equal to 1/temp. But 1/2500k does not give me a wavelength...)

It may be just me, but the question is meaningless. One could ask just at what rate a protostar with a given temperature radiates, but "most strongly" makes this incomprehensible.

2. In a far away galaxy, light is emitted with an average wavelength of 450nm. If this galaxy is moving away from Earth at a rate of 1.3*E8 m/s, what wavelength of light will we see?

What is the Doppler shift formula?

Related to Which Formulas Solve These Physics Problems?

1. How do I approach problem-solving?

The first step in problem-solving is to clearly define the problem and its boundaries. Then, gather all the necessary information and brainstorm potential solutions. Evaluate each solution based on its feasibility and potential impact. Finally, choose the best solution and implement it.

2. What are some common problem-solving strategies?

Some common problem-solving strategies include trial and error, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using visual aids, considering multiple perspectives, and seeking advice from others.

3. How do I handle difficult or complex problems?

Difficult or complex problems require a systematic approach. Start by identifying the root cause of the problem and breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Use critical thinking skills to analyze each component and come up with potential solutions. Don't be afraid to seek help from others or take breaks when needed.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Practice makes perfect when it comes to problem-solving. Keep challenging yourself with new and diverse problems. Additionally, develop your critical thinking skills, stay open-minded, and be willing to learn from your mistakes.

5. What should I do if my initial solution doesn't work?

If your initial solution doesn't work, don't get discouraged. Use the feedback from your attempt to refine your solution or come up with a new one. Sometimes, it may be necessary to go back to the drawing board and start the problem-solving process again.