Which Fortran version to learn

• Fortran
  • Thread starter Winzer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fortran
In summary, the individual is looking to learn Fortran over the summer for use in physics computations and interfacing with Python. They are wondering which version of Fortran to start with, and the expert suggests starting with Fortran 90 due to its object-oriented programming capabilities and avoiding the frustrations of debugging with older versions such as Fortran 77.
Winzer
I have decided to learn Fortran over the summer. However there are various versions out there.
Which version would you recommend learning? I will be using Fortran for computation in physics
primarily. I will also be interfacing Python and Fortran together.

Technology news on Phys.org
This is not an unreasonable request is it?
Given the fortran versions: 77,90,95... which one would you recommmend?
Why would you recommend that particular version over any other?

I have just read that it easiest to start with fortran 77, then to work my way up from there.
The reason being that the newer versions have more sophisticated packages, etc.
Is this accurate?

I would say that there is no reason to start with anything older than Fortran 90. Fortran 90 starting going towards object-oriented programming, and quite frankly, if you try to debug anything written in F77, you'll quickly find yourself pulling your hair out.

Common blocks and implicit variable declaration will start you down a path you don't want to go.

I would recommend learning the most recent version of Fortran, which is Fortran 2018. This version includes many new features and improvements that make it more efficient and user-friendly for scientific computing. Additionally, it is important to consider the specific requirements of your field of physics and the libraries or packages you will be using. Some libraries may only be compatible with certain versions of Fortran, so it is important to do some research and ensure compatibility before choosing a version to learn. As for interfacing with Python, Fortran 2018 has improved interoperability with other languages, making it a good choice for this purpose. Overall, Fortran 2018 would be the most versatile and up-to-date choice for your needs in computation for physics.

Related to Which Fortran version to learn

1. Which is the latest version of Fortran?

The latest version of Fortran is Fortran 2018, which was released in November 2018.

2. Is it necessary to learn previous versions of Fortran before learning the latest version?

No, it is not necessary to learn previous versions of Fortran before learning the latest version. Fortran 2018 is backward compatible, meaning it can run code written in previous versions.

3. What are the major differences between Fortran versions?

The major differences between Fortran versions include language enhancements, new features, improved performance, and bug fixes. For example, Fortran 2018 introduced coarrays for parallel programming, while Fortran 95 introduced free-form source code formatting.

4. Which Fortran version is the most popular and widely used?

Fortran 77 is considered the most popular and widely used version of Fortran. It was released in 1978 and is still used in many legacy systems.

5. Are there any resources available for learning Fortran versions?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning Fortran versions, including online tutorials, textbooks, and programming courses. Additionally, the official Fortran website provides documentation and resources for each version of Fortran.