Which Godfather film is the best in your opinion?

• Thread starter Hootenanny
  • Start date
In summary, the first movie is the best, the second tried to cover too much, and the third one was the worst.

Which is the best Godfather Film?

• Total voters
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In your opinion, which is the best of the three Godfather films? I've just finnished watching them now and was wondering what everyone thought? In my opinion the first one is the best, the second tried to cover too much I thought.

~H

Physics news on Phys.org
I read the book first, but the first movie was good, the book was better.

Evo said:
I read the book first, but the first movie was good, the book was better.

I've not read the book yet, I think I'll try and get hold of a copy.

~H

I think the third one was the best movie. the story had a lot of different "layers" and i especially like the complots in/with the Vatican. I think they should have elaborated on that. Al Pacino's final cry out when his daughter gets shot is just...well...astonishing.

Ofcourse, the first movie really rests onto the interpretation of Marlon Brando (although i do not think this role was his best work). They should have given him more scenes.

marlon

second part.

I voted 'they're all amazing", but the 2nd one was the best, and the 3rd one wasn't nearly as good as 1&2

I love Al Pacino because of part II!

hmm...it seems that JasonRox hates them all...let's go Jason hunting

I never seen them.But form what I heard what there about they don't sound too good.

All of them are excellent movies, but if I were to choose a favorite it would be the original.

Yeahh i would agree. The second one drags on for too long although its still good. I think it depends what you enjoy about the films..if you like action then the first one would be the best. If you enjoy watching the business side of things then the second and thirs films are better. In my opinion i think the first one is the best because it shows you the rise and rise of Michael Corleone and there's abit of everything in there to make it not just the best out of the trilogy but also one of the best films ever made.

AnthonyF

I will begin by saying all three are vastly overrated, especially the last two. The movies are average at best, and are too slow to develop. Having said that, I enjoyed the first one a lot more than the other two. It had a very gangster feel to it, and the whole Sicilian family thing played out well. The second one was very boring throughout, the plot was very artificial and overly dramatic. I didn't like the whole history lesson on Vito. It made it clear the original story had no substance so they needed filler. The only good part was the ending, not only because it was shockingly surprising, but because it put me out of my misery. The third one was the worse, mainly because the actors weren't as good as in the first two.

Goodfellas is better than all three combined.

I hate them all.

FAQ: Which Godfather film is the best in your opinion?

1. What is "The Godfather Trilogy" about?

The Godfather Trilogy is a series of three films that follow the Corleone crime family in New York City from the early 1940s to the late 1970s. The films explore themes of power, family, and loyalty as the family navigates the dangerous world of organized crime.

2. Who directed "The Godfather Trilogy"?

The Godfather Trilogy was directed by Francis Ford Coppola. He also co-wrote the screenplays for all three films and produced them alongside Albert S. Ruddy.

3. Are "The Godfather" books based on true events?

The Godfather films are based on the novel of the same name written by Mario Puzo. While the story is fictional, Puzo drew inspiration from real-life mafia families and their operations.

4. What is the significance of the orange symbolism in "The Godfather Trilogy"?

Throughout the trilogy, oranges are often seen in scenes leading up to or during a character's death. This is believed to be a symbol of impending doom or death, as well as the loss of innocence.

5. Why is "The Godfather Trilogy" considered a cinematic masterpiece?

The Godfather Trilogy is widely praised for its powerful storytelling, compelling characters, and masterful direction. The films have become ingrained in popular culture and are often cited as some of the greatest movies of all time.

Back