Which Hand Points in the Positive Z Direction in a 3D Coordinate System?

In summary, the scenario described is a person standing on a tight rope with a gravity source at the origin and their arms stretched out to form a cross. The right hand will be pointing in the direction of the positive z-axis, while the left hand will be pointing in the direction of the negative z-axis. The person's torso will be in the xy-plane, with their feet towards the origin. The provided drawing accurately represents this situation.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone. I'm suppose to imagine the cartesian product or three-dimensional rectangular coordinate system (R^3 = {(x,y,z)|x,y,z R}) that the orgin is a source of gravity and a tight rope connects the point (10,0,0) to the point (10,0,0) to the point (0,10,0) on the tight rope holding their hand straight out to their sides so their boyd forms a cross. Which hand will be pointing in the postive z direction? Draw pictures describing this situation and make sue to account for the effect of the orgin being the only source of gravity. Did I draw the picture right? Here is my drawing: http://img303.imageshack.us/img303/5346/math2gn.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Since the origin is a "source of gravity", the person will be standing on the rope with his feet toward the origin and so his torso will be in the xy-plane, his arms stretched out perpendicular to the xy-plane and so parallel to the z-axis. Assuming, as in the picture (you seem to have left out some of the words), that the person is facing y-axis, since this is a right-hand coordinate system, his right hand will be pointing in the direction of the positive z-axis and his left in the direction of the negative z-axis.

sorry about the double post, i'll keep it in the college section! Somtimes I don't know if my questions are too simplistic for college level even though it is.

Related to Which Hand Points in the Positive Z Direction in a 3D Coordinate System?

Question 1: What are the variables x, y, and z in Calc III?

X, y, and z are commonly used as variables in Calc III to represent three-dimensional coordinates in space. X represents the horizontal axis, y represents the vertical axis, and z represents the depth or height axis.

Question 2: How is Calc III different from Calc I and II?

Calc III, also known as Multivariable Calculus, builds upon the concepts learned in Calc I and II but focuses on functions of more than one variable. It involves studying functions in three-dimensional space and their derivatives, integrals, and applications.

Question 3: What is the purpose of using (x,y,z) notation in Calc III?

(x,y,z) notation is used to represent a point in three-dimensional space. It helps to visualize functions and their graphs in three dimensions and is a crucial concept in Calc III.

Question 4: How do I differentiate and integrate functions in Calc III with multiple variables?

In Calc III, differentiation and integration are extended to functions with multiple variables. To differentiate, you use partial derivatives, which involve taking the derivative with respect to one variable while treating the other variables as constants. Integration in Calc III is done using multiple integrals, which involve integrating over a region in three-dimensional space.

Question 5: How can I use Calc III in real-world applications?

Calc III has many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. It can be used to model and analyze various systems and phenomena in three-dimensional space, such as motion, optimization problems, and electric fields.