Which Iceboat Finishes with Greater Momentum?

In summary, two iceboats with masses m and 2m race on a frictionless horizontal lake with identical sails and a constant wind force F. Both start from rest and cross the finish line a distance s away with the same kinetic energy. The momentum of the iceboat with mass 2m is √2 times greater than the momentum of the iceboat with mass m.
learnitall

Homework Statement

Two iceboats hold a race on a frictionless horizontal lake. The two iceboats have masses m and 2m. Each iceboats has an identical sail, so the wind exerts the same constant force F on each boat. The two ice boats start from rest and cross the finish line a distance s away. The total work done to accelerate each of the boats from rest are the same (because the net force and displacement were the same for both). Hence both iceboats cross the finish line with the same kinetic energy.

a)Which iceboat crosses the finish line with greater momentum?

b)Can you show that the iceboat with mass 2m has √2 times as much momentum at the finish line as the iceboat of mass m?

Homework Equations

J = p2-p1=ƩFΔt
p=mv
K=(1/2)mv2
W=Fds

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the boat with mass 2m will have greater momentum crossing the finish line by realizing the boat with the larger mass will take a longer amount of time for it to travel from rest to a distance s. Thus the impulse from the larger boat will be bigger. Since the iceboat starts
from rest, this equals the iceboat's momentum p at the finish line:
P=FΔt.

Im having trouble with part b of the problem. This is my thought process:

Both boats will cross the finish line with the same kinetic energy
∴ (1/2)mv2=(1/2)(2m)[(1\2)v2

Half, of the heavier boat's, square speed must be equal to the square of the lighter one for the kinetic relation to be true. If this is the case then,
can't I make new relation of speeds? what I mean is:
(1/2)vheavier2=vlighter2
after some algebra → (vheavier)/√2 = vlighter

so

pheavier=2mvheavier
plighter=mvlighter

so to find how much larger the momentum of the heavier boat is to divide the two using the substitution of the lighter velocity:
(2m)(vheavier)/[(mvheavier)/√2] = 2√2

why is my quantity two times larger than it should be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Equating the kinetic energies was a right choice... But the simplification was a bit confusing...
learnitall said:
(1/2)vheavier2=vlighter2
after some algebra → (vheavier)/√2 = vlighter
This is where it went wrong. It has to be √2vheavier=vlighter...
Other than that everything is fine, check your calculations and you will be on your way...
Regards

Abhilash H N said:
This is where it went wrong.
I think it went wrong a little earlier.
(1/2)mv2=(1/2)(2m)[(1\2)v2
To clarify
(1/2)mvlight2=(1/2)(2m)vheavy2
Take it forwards from there.

Ah, i see now. I didnt need that extra (1/2) factor. I also understand why I didnt need it. Thanks guys

Your thought process is correct, however, your calculation for the ratio of momentums is incorrect. The correct calculation should be:

p_heavier/p_lighter = (2m)(v_heavier)/[(mv_heavier)/√2] = 2√2

This is because the momentum of the heavier boat is not just 2mv, but it is 2mv divided by the square root of 2. This is because the velocity of the heavier boat is also divided by the square root of 2, as you correctly calculated earlier. So the correct ratio of momentums is 2√2, which is indeed the same as the square root of 2 times as much momentum.

Related to Which Iceboat Finishes with Greater Momentum?

1. What is the difference between momentum and kinetic energy?

Momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity, while kinetic energy is a measure of an object's motion or movement. Momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while kinetic energy is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude.

2. How are momentum and kinetic energy related?

Momentum and kinetic energy are related because they both involve an object's mass and velocity. The more massive an object is and the faster it is moving, the greater its momentum and kinetic energy will be. Additionally, momentum and kinetic energy are both conserved quantities in a closed system, meaning they cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.

3. Which one is more important, momentum or kinetic energy?

Both momentum and kinetic energy are important in understanding an object's motion. Momentum is particularly useful for understanding collisions and interactions between objects, while kinetic energy is important for understanding an object's ability to do work. In certain situations, one may be more important than the other, but both are necessary for a complete understanding of an object's motion.

4. Can an object have momentum without having kinetic energy?

Yes, an object can have momentum without having kinetic energy. This can occur if an object is stationary, meaning it has no motion, but has mass. In this case, the object's momentum would be equal to zero since momentum is calculated by multiplying mass and velocity.

5. How can momentum and kinetic energy be calculated?

Momentum can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for kinetic energy is 1/2 * mass * velocity^2, where the velocity is squared. Both momentum and kinetic energy are measured in units of kilogram meters per second (kg*m/s) in the metric system.