Which is Better for My Future: PhD at Durham or CASM at Cambridge?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Sploosh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, the conversation discusses two offers: a PhD at Durham and Cambridge's CASM. The individual is leaning towards the PhD at Durham due to the opportunity to start right away and a prestigious fellowship. However, they are also interested in a particular lecture at Cambridge and considering attending without credit. Others suggest taking the PhD at Durham and warn against relying on the CASM to improve chances for a PhD. They also mention a potential option for examined graduate lecture courses at Durham. Overall, the conversation suggests that the PhD at Durham is the best choice, but the individual may explore other options as well.
Sploosh
Hi,
I would like to ask for your opinion.
I am between 2 offers. One is a PhD at Durham and the other one is Cambridge's CASM.
In Durham I can start right away with my research. It would take 3 years (at least in theory). And I got a fellowship which seems to be very prestigious and can be considered as an award (well, this is what they say, but honestly I don't know). However, I would still need to spend some time gathering knowledge in certain areas.
On the other hand, Cambridge has 1 (or 2) lectures that really interest me, and could help me in future research. The reputation of the university and the department are worldwide known. However, there is no secured PhD place after the CASM (at least not in Cambridge), and overall (including the PhD) this would take more time than in Durham.
I appreciate your comments.

Physics news on Phys.org
PartIII maths is pretty well known and respected, it gives you an out if you don't want to continue for a PhD - if you do it gives you a very solid grounding.
You might end up finishing quicker because of stuff you learned in part III - PhD's aren't guaranteed to only take 3years(!)

One problem with part III was that you couldn't get funding for it since it wasn't an ugrad degree and wasn't a PhD or a masters (the excellent one year CS course died because of this) - my info might be out of date though.

I would take the PhD at Durham, as long as the subject is of real interest to you and the supervisor has a good reputation for being helpful and getting his students past the winning post. Supervisors can vary greatly, from Dennis Sciama to ... well I won't mention names, I'm sure you can think of some in the 'not good' category. Email his current research students and see if they are happy bunnies.

I made the mistake of taking an Astronomy MSc at Sussex and had to suffer from taking some really naff courses, one of which I almost failed through sheer lack of interest. I should have just gone on to do a PhD immediately.

Durham, in general, has a great rep. For instance, John Barrow did his BSc there:

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/gr/about/members/barrow/barrow_jdbcv_nov07.pdf

If you know the exact area you want to work in and have a place - go for it and do the PhD directly. Good luck

The countryside around Durham is a lot nicer as well

I think part III is over-rated.
Phd places are really hard to get, especially with a fellowship. Just go for Durham if its an interesting research.

But I still believe none of mathematicians in Stanford would complain about ratings over part III

I appreciate all your comments!

I am inclined towards the PhD at Durham now. Yes, the topic is interesting, and the research group likes my own ideas, which I certainly like to explore. As I have seen, Durham has also a good reputation. Moreover, the supervisors - who I recently met- are quite enthusiastic and full of energy, so this is certainly positive.

There is this lecture at Cambridge that still interests me a lot, though. Perhaps I could speak with both depts. and just attend this single lecture for 4 months (or the time it takes) without any credit. Honestly, I guess it would not be possible, but maybe it is worth to try, no? ... What do you think?

Thanks again.

Hi sploosh,
I'm presently an undergrad at durham! Any general questions about the place etc. I'd be happy to answer on here :smile:
My own thinking about this subject, as someone who will be applying for PhDs next year: If I were in your position I'd take the PhD. Have a read of the section "particular points for Part III students" here, or look at the related threads below- as prestigious as the CASM is, I get the distinct impression that taking it in order to improve your position next year can backfire.
As an aside, I'd point out that if you're in the centre for particle theory there are examined graduate lecture courses: http://www.cpt.dur.ac.uk/GraduateStudies/Lectures/

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Which is Better for My Future: PhD at Durham or CASM at Cambridge?

What is the difference between a PhD at Durham University and a CASM at Cambridge University?

A PhD at Durham University is a traditional doctoral degree that involves conducting original research under the guidance of a supervisor, writing a thesis, and defending it in front of a panel of experts. A CASM at Cambridge University is a professional doctorate in applied mathematics and theoretical physics, which has a more structured curriculum and includes coursework and a research project.

Which program is better for pursuing a career in academia?

Both programs can lead to successful careers in academia. A PhD at Durham University is typically preferred for academic research positions, while a CASM at Cambridge University may be more suitable for teaching and applied research positions.

How long does each program typically take to complete?

A PhD at Durham University usually takes 3-4 years to complete, while a CASM at Cambridge University can take 4-5 years. However, the exact duration may vary depending on the individual's research progress and any extenuating circumstances.

What are the admission requirements for each program?

The admission requirements for a PhD at Durham University typically include a master's degree in a related field, strong academic performance, and a research proposal. For a CASM at Cambridge University, applicants are expected to have a relevant undergraduate degree with a strong mathematical background, as well as relevant work experience or a master's degree in a related field.

Can I switch from one program to the other?

It is possible to transfer between the two programs, but it is not a common practice. Switching from a PhD at Durham University to a CASM at Cambridge University may require starting the program from the beginning, as the two programs have different structures and requirements. However, it may be possible to transfer credits and continue a PhD at Durham University after completing a CASM at Cambridge University, depending on the individual circumstances and the approval of both universities.