Which Is Better for Theoretical Physics, ETH Zurich or LMU Munich?

• Thread starter Gargle Blaster
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is studying physics and is interested in applying for a master's degree in theoretical and mathematical physics at two schools next year. They are seeking advice on the schools and are particularly interested in quantum information theory. While one school may not have a research group dedicated to QI, it may still have resources available and the individual can consider completing a PhD in QI at another school after their master's degree.
Gargle Blaster
I'm studying physics (second year) and I would like to apply for a master degree (in theoretical and mathematical physics) at these two schools next year.

I would like to ask if anybody here has any experience with these two schools?

I'm particulary interested in quantum information theory, but also string theory
and high energy physics are interesting - I'm not really decided yet (maybe QI a little more).

As far as I know, unlike Munich, there is no research on QI on ETH.

On the other hand ETH is more famous and Zurich is a great city :smile: .

Would it be a problem to do a master degree at a school without any QI research and then do a PhD on QI somewhere else?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there! I have not personally attended either of the schools you mentioned, however I can offer some insight.

Regarding quantum information theory, it is true that ETH Zurich may not have a research group dedicated to that area. But that doesn't necessarily mean they don't have the resources. It's worth reaching out to faculty members who are doing research that relates to your interests to learn more about what opportunities might be available.

As for doing a master degree at one school and then a PhD at another, this is certainly possible. Many students pursue this route when they want to specialize in a particular field of study or work with a certain professor. It's definitely worth exploring your options further to see what's best for you.

Good luck with your decision!

I cannot provide a personal opinion on these two schools as I have not attended either of them. However, based on my knowledge and research, both ETH Zurich and LMU Munich are highly reputable and prestigious universities with strong programs in theoretical and mathematical physics.

In terms of quantum information theory, while LMU Munich may have a stronger focus on this area of research, ETH Zurich still has a strong physics program and a renowned reputation in other fields such as high energy physics and string theory. Additionally, it is important to note that research interests and focus can shift and change during a graduate program, so it is not necessary to limit yourself to just one specific area at this stage in your academic career.

Furthermore, it is not uncommon for students to pursue a PhD in a different institution from where they completed their master's degree. What matters most is the quality of education and research opportunities at the university you choose for your master's degree, as well as the support and mentorship you receive from your advisors and faculty.

Ultimately, my advice would be to thoroughly research the programs and faculty at both universities and choose the one that aligns best with your academic and research interests. Both ETH Zurich and LMU Munich are highly reputable and well-respected universities, so whichever one you choose, you will be receiving a top-notch education in theoretical and mathematical physics. Best of luck with your decision!

Related to Which Is Better for Theoretical Physics, ETH Zurich or LMU Munich?

1. What is the ranking of ETH Zurich and LMU Munich?

According to the QS World University Rankings 2021, ETH Zurich is ranked as the 6th best university in the world, while LMU Munich is ranked as the 63rd best university.

2. What are the main areas of research at ETH Zurich and LMU Munich?

ETH Zurich is known for its strong focus on STEM fields, specifically engineering, natural sciences, and technology. LMU Munich is known for its strength in humanities and social sciences, as well as its medical and life science research.

3. How diverse are the student populations at ETH Zurich and LMU Munich?

Both universities have a diverse international student population, with approximately 30% of students at ETH Zurich and 20% of students at LMU Munich coming from outside of Switzerland and Germany, respectively.

4. What is the student-to-faculty ratio at ETH Zurich and LMU Munich?

The student-to-faculty ratio at ETH Zurich is 16:1, and at LMU Munich it is 20:1. Both universities have relatively small class sizes, allowing for more personalized attention from professors.

5. What are the opportunities for undergraduate research at ETH Zurich and LMU Munich?

Both universities have strong undergraduate research programs, providing opportunities for students to work on cutting-edge projects with faculty members. ETH Zurich also offers a dedicated undergraduate research program, the Student Summer Research Fellowship, which allows students to conduct research over the summer break.