Which is the air resistance formula?

In summary, the conversation is about trying to solve an equation involving Y_1 and finding the correct formula for air resistance. The formula for air resistance is F_D=(C_D ρAv^2)/2, but there is no one formula for air resistance as it depends on various variables.
Joroba3
I'm trying to solve this ecuation:
Y_1=(-m)/2k((T-mg-kv^2)/(T-mg))
I'm having some truble at finding a correct formula to find the air resistance. In my research through Internet I found loads of different formulas but I don't exactly know which is the correct one. In an other discussion on this forum I found this formula:
F_D=(C_D ρAv^2)/2
However, as I just mentioned I don't have it very clear.
Thankfully,
Jacob

Physics news on Phys.org
your post is very confusing. Solve that equation for what variable? And is the question about "air resistance" a separate question? There is no one formula for air resistance- it depends upon a number of variables including the shape of the object moving through the air and its speed relative to the air.

Related to Which is the air resistance formula?

1. What is the formula for air resistance?

The formula for air resistance is Fair = ½ρCdAv2, where Fair is the force of air resistance, ρ is the density of air, Cd is the drag coefficient, A is the cross-sectional area, and v is the velocity of the object.

2. How does air resistance affect objects?

Air resistance is the force that opposes the motion of an object through air. It can cause objects to slow down or reach a terminal velocity, where the force of air resistance equals the force of gravity and the object stops accelerating.

3. What factors affect air resistance?

The factors that affect air resistance include the density of air, the shape and size of the object, and the speed of the object. The roughness of the object's surface and the air's viscosity can also have an impact on air resistance.

4. How can air resistance be reduced?

Air resistance can be reduced by decreasing the object's speed, increasing its surface area, or making it more aerodynamic. For example, a streamlined shape or a smooth surface can help reduce air resistance on a moving object.

5. Is air resistance always a hindrance?

No, air resistance can also be beneficial in certain situations. For example, in sports such as skiing or bobsledding, air resistance can help slow down the athletes and prevent them from losing control at high speeds. In some engineering designs, air resistance can also be used to control the motion of objects, such as parachutes or gliders.