Which is the best proofwriting book for analysis?

• Thread starter Levi Tate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, a group of people are discussing books on proof writing and analysis. One person recommends a book that covers basic logic, set theory, relations, functions, cardinality of sets, and basic analysis and algebra. Another person recommends a free online book with a similar focus. Another person suggests a book that they are currently reading and finding helpful. The conversation ends with another person recommending a book that they have ordered.
Levi Tate
Hello, I am going to be taking analysis and to ease the pain a little bit I wanted to do a treatment of proof writing here for the next month. I am not sure which book to order. If any of you people who are more knowledgeable on the subject than me could let me know of a good book and an area of focus, it would be a big help to me, thank you

Justin

Physics news on Phys.org
Back in September of Last year, I started studying this book to get me started on proofs
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1420069551/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I certainly wouldn't say its the best book of its kind, but it did help me tremendously. It covers basic logic, set theory, relations, functions, and it goes into the cardinality of sets as well. The last two chapters are on basic analysis and algebra. I think it's perfect for self study.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm about halfway through Chartrand's book (first edition). I've found it to be great and it was less than $10 on abebooks. Here's a link to the second edition:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321390539/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The above recommendation, Book of Proof, is nice as well from what I read of it. You can buy it new as a physical book for about $10 as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Which is the best proofwriting book for analysis?

1. What is the best proofwriting book for beginners?

The best proofwriting book for beginners is "The Elements of Style" by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White. It provides a comprehensive guide to grammar, punctuation, and writing style, making it a great resource for those new to proofreading.

2. Is there a specific proofwriting book for academic writing?

Yes, "A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations" by Kate L. Turabian is a widely used and highly recommended book for academic writing. It covers topics such as formatting, citations, and grammar specific to academic writing.

3. What is the best proofwriting book for business writing?

The best proofwriting book for business writing is "The Business Style Handbook" by Helen Cunningham and Brenda Greene. It offers practical tips and guidelines for writing clear and professional business documents, including emails, reports, and presentations.

4. Are there any online resources that can serve as a substitute for a proofwriting book?

Yes, there are many online resources that can serve as a substitute for a proofwriting book. Some popular options include Grammarly, Purdue OWL, and The Chicago Manual of Style Online. These resources offer grammar and writing tips, as well as interactive tools for proofreading and editing.

5. Can I improve my proofreading skills by reading a proofwriting book?

Yes, reading a proofwriting book can greatly improve your proofreading skills. These books provide valuable information and tips on grammar, punctuation, and writing style, as well as exercises and examples to help you practice and improve your skills.