Which Material is Best for Building Support Stands: Aluminum or Mild Steel?

In summary: Mg 2.1 - 2.9 Cu ... 1.2 - 2.0 Cr 0.18 - 0.28 Fe 0.50 max Si 0.40 max Mn 0.30 max Rem Other 0.15 max In summary, the individual is looking for information on the most cost-effective material type and thickness to support a given load. They have already completed the drawings for the support stands and are considering using either mild steel or aluminum. They are not an engineer but are willing to learn and are looking for help in locating the necessary information and formulas
Speedemon
I have a question regarding what material type and thickness could support a given load most cost effectively. Weight of the part will also be a factor in the cost due to the wacked out freight charges these days.

I have no idea where to locate the information that I need or a formula so that I can figure it out myself. I am not a engineer by trade but I am a quick study.

I am trying to make a couple of support stands for a machine. I already have all of the drawings done and now I just need to pick out the correct material for the job. Also I have considered revising the design but in all honesty this is the best way all things considered and I do mean all things (Shipping size, shipping weight, packing etc...)

I would like to know the following regarding aluminum and mild steel:

NOTE: The stands are 24" tall for scaling purposes

Based on the attached picture, which is more suitable, Mild steel or aluminum? Also what thickness would each need to be in order to support the said load?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• Load Example Model (2).jpg
    Load Example Model (2).jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 837
Engineering news on Phys.org
One can find material properties here.

http://www.matweb.com/search/MaterialGroupSearch.aspx

Probably mild steel would be the way to go, as opposed to Al. Depending on the Al alloy, one would have to make a thicker part from Al than from steel in order to achieve the same marging to yield strength.

There is also the matter of geometric design, e.g., type of a channel/column, as well as the base. The supporting system might be a like a cradle of some kind.

Speedemon said:
I have a question regarding what material type and thickness could support a given load most cost effectively. Weight of the part will also be a factor in the cost due to the wacked out freight charges these days.

Astronuc said:
Probably mild steel would be the way to go, as opposed to Al. Depending on the Al alloy, one would have to make a thicker part from Al than from steel in order to achieve the same marging to yield strength.

Not true, mild steel just doesn't have the strength of high strength aluminum alloys and it weighs more to boot.

Aluminum 6061-T6 or 7075-T6 has a very good strength to weight ratio compared to mild steel. Mild steel like A36 has a yield strength of about 36 ksi, while Al 6061-T6 has a yield strength of about 35-40 ksi and only 34% the density of A36 steel (this means a part made out of aluminum would weigh 34% that of an A36 steel part of the same strength). Al 7075-T6 has a yield strength of 73 ksi and 36% the density of A36, making it even stronger.

Mech_Engineer said:
Not true, mild steel just doesn't have the strength of high strength aluminum alloys and it weighs more to boot.

Aluminum 6061-T6 or 7075-T6 has a very good strength to weight ratio compared to mild steel. Mild steel like A36 has a yield strength of about 36 ksi, while Al 6061-T6 has a yield strength of about 35-40 ksi and only 34% the density of A36 steel (this means a part made out of aluminum would weigh 34% that of an A36 steel part of the same strength). Al 7075-T6 has a yield strength of 73 ksi and 36% the density of A36, making it even stronger.

That was my understanding in a nutshell but I wanted to verify it before I began trying to select the correct material that will support the vertical load (Static Load?) and the lateral forces (Term?) that are due to the 10deg Outward Brake on each leg that were put there for stability reasons.

Since I do not have a formal education in this field I am going to need to know a few simple things as well as how to calculate and/or search for the solution/answers myself in the future. I am not expecting a teaching lesson or anything, I would mearly like to know the basics and anything else you all are willing to teach to a sponge. lol

So I need to know how to locate as well as identify the proper material, in aluminum or mild steel, to support the load in the configuration that was in my attached drawing.

Also, what would be the answer for Mild Steel and Aluminum?

Any further help would be great. Again I am a newb here but I am ready and willing to learn whatever you got.

Thanks again

Mech_Engineer said:

I wasn't thinking of high strength Al alloys, but more along the lines of comparable low strength Al alloys, like 1100, since the OP was comparing it to relatively low strength mild steels.

Consider:

Al alloy 1100 composition

Code:
Al        99 min 
Cu        0.05 - 0.2
Mn        0.05 max
Rem Each  0.05 max
Rem Tot   0.15 max
Si+Fe     0.95 max 
Zn        0.1 max
H14 Temper -320F, YS ~20 ksi, UTS ~30 ksi
but Temper at 68F, YS = 17 ksi, UTS = 18 ksi

Comparison of common Al-alloys
http://www.precisionsheetmetal.com/home/materials.htm#Aluminum%20Alloy%20Comparison

http://www.makeitfrom.com/data/?material=6061_Alum&type=Basic_Mechanical

Composition of Al 7075
(Source: http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=MA7075T6)
Code:
Al         87.1 - 91.4   
Zn         5.1 - 6.1   
Mg         2.1 - 2.9   
Si Max     0.4   
Cr         0.18 - 0.28   
Cu         1.2 - 2   
Fe Max     0.5 
Mn Max     0.3   
Other, ea  0.05 Max    
Other, tot 0.15 Max  
Ti Max     0.2
And the T6 temper imparts considerable strength as stated above.

One has to look at the form of the parts. If made of Al-alloy, would the frame parts be extruded or rolled, and then welded? How or when would the temper be done? One has to consider the entire production route.

If we're considering any Al-alloy, particularly high strength Al alloys, then why restrict ourselves to mild steel. Why not consider 1040, or 4140 or 4340, or some HSLA?

1018 Mild (low-carbon) steel
Ultimate Tensile Strength, psi 63,800
Yield Strength, psi 53,700

ASTM A513 alloys 1020 - 1026 Mild (low-carbon) steel
Ultimate Tensile Strength, psi 87,000
Yield Strength, psi 72,000

1028 steel has roughly the same YS and UTS as 1026 steel.

Some sites comparing selection of Al alloys vs Steel
Strength of Aluminum vs Strength of Steel
http://www.kastenmarine.com/alumVSsteel.htm

Comparing Al, CroMo steel, Carbon Steel
http://www.ihpva.org/Projects/PracticalInnovations/materials.html (not official)
In the quest of building the ultimate HPV frame, the frame material becomes an important issue. For building the Thunderbolt, I have narrowed the materials down to three metals; Carbon steel, CroMo and Aluminum. Each of these materials have their strong and weak points as I shall attempt to point out in this chapter. Before we proceed, I want to warn you that I did not double check my technical sources. Consequently, some numbers or data may be incorrect, but should be close enough for the home-builder enthusiast.

http://www.americanmachinetools.com/tensile_strength.htm

But then

Steel Alloy 1040
Code:
                                      YS(ksi) UTS(ksi)
Annealed   (@ 1450 deg F)              51.3     75.3
Normalized (@ 1650 deg F)              54.3     85.5
Hot rolled                             60.0     90.0
Oil-quenched & tempered (@ 600 deg F)  86.0    113.0

https://www.efunda.com/materials/al...ow_prop=uts&Page_Title=Carbon Steel AISI 1040

Code:
Steel Alloy 4140
Annealed   (@ 1500 deg F)              60.5     95.0
Normalized (@ 1600 deg F)              95.0    148.0
Oil-quenched & tempered (@ 600 deg F) 208.0    238.0

Steel Alloy 4340
Annealed (@ 1500 deg F)                68.5    108.0
Normalized (@ 1600 deg F)             125.0    185.5
Oil-quenched & tempered (@ 600 deg F) 230.0    250.0

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I correct in assuming that this stand is a transit stand, not a long term mounting for a machine in use?

Can I also ask about the fixing down design? I would advise you to check this aspect carefully as substantial shock loads can develop during transit.

Studiot said:
Am I correct in assuming that this stand is a transit stand, not a long term mounting for a machine in use?

Can I also ask about the fixing down design? I would advise you to check this aspect carefully as substantial shock loads can develop during transit.
This is a key aspect of design. Anything in transit must be designed to take dynamic/transient/impact loads that might be experienced during transport/transit. These are well above static loads.

Nuclear fuel designers must consider 4g axial and 6g transverse accelerations, which are well above loads expected in service, but could be expected in a transport mishap.

Ideally a material has quite a separation between YS and UTS. Usually the operating stresses are well below YS - i.e., no plastic deformation allowed. If YS is exceeded, the part/system may be unusuable and must be scrapped.

WOW! That is what I am talking about! Thank you both very much! Please allow me some time to review all of the information, all of which is very relevant to me having a proper grasp on how to figure this out in the future.

Thank you again for talking your valuable time to help me with this and to teach me the basics!

I will follow up soon.

a little side note:

The stands are for servicing only, so the load will remain static.

I am assuming that the material that I need for this load will not fall under the "sheet metal" category due to the needed thickness, is that correct?

If so then what category should I be looking in where the material is large enough to cut out these parts with a water jet?

I figured I would give you some more details to help with the proper material selection.

-The max load the stands will see is 1000lbs each and on the 4000lb machines we will be able to use 1 on each of the 4 corners.

-The drawing does not look exactly like the final stand but for material selection I think it should be good enoughAlso, let's also say that I removed the bend, what thickness and type of aluminum and mild steel would be appropriate for this application with the given static load remaining the same?

Thanks

Related to Which Material is Best for Building Support Stands: Aluminum or Mild Steel?

1. How do the properties of aluminum and mild steel differ?

Aluminum is a lightweight metal with a low density and high strength-to-weight ratio. It is also corrosion-resistant and has good thermal and electrical conductivity. Mild steel, on the other hand, is a heavier metal with a higher density and lower strength-to-weight ratio. It is not as corrosion-resistant as aluminum but is stronger and more durable.

2. Which material is better for load-bearing structures?

It depends on the specific application. Aluminum is often preferred for structures that require a lightweight and corrosion-resistant material, such as aircrafts and boats. Mild steel, on the other hand, is better for structures that require a higher strength and durability, such as buildings and bridges.

3. Can aluminum and mild steel be used together in a load-bearing structure?

Yes, it is possible to use both materials together in a load-bearing structure. However, it is important to consider the compatibility of the materials and their properties to ensure the structure can withstand the load and any potential reactions between the two metals.

4. How does the cost of aluminum compare to mild steel?

Generally, aluminum is more expensive than mild steel. This is due to its higher production costs and more complex manufacturing processes. However, the cost may vary depending on the specific grade and market conditions.

5. What are the environmental impacts of using aluminum and mild steel?

Both aluminum and mild steel have environmental impacts associated with their production and use. Aluminum production requires a significant amount of energy, while mild steel production is more energy-efficient but produces more greenhouse gas emissions. It is important to consider the entire life cycle of these materials when evaluating their environmental impacts.