Which Math Course is More Essential for a Physics Major?

• Thread starter jbrussell93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discussed two potential math courses for a physics major: Matrix Theory and Applied Analysis. Matrix Theory covers topics such as basic properties of matrices, determinants, vector spaces, linear transformations, eigenvalues, eigenvectors, and Jordan normal forms, while Applied Analysis focuses on solving partial differential equations using techniques such as separation of variables and transform methods. The individual speaking has had exposure to linear algebra and matrices in other courses but is leaning towards Applied Analysis due to their lack of experience with solving PDEs. Another individual suggests taking both courses eventually. The speaker also mentioned their experience in a previous math course, which covered topics such as complex analysis, ODE review, Fourier transforms/series, vector analysis, and tensor analysis,
jbrussell93
Matrix Theory. 3 Credits.
Basic properties of matrices, determinants, vector spaces, linear transformations, eigenvalues, eigenvectors, and Jordan normal forms. Introduction to writing proofs.

Applied Analysis. 3 Credits.
Solution of the standard partial differential equations (wave, heat, Laplace's eq.) by separation of variables and transform methods; including eigenfunction expansions, Fourier and Laplace transform. Boundary value problems, Sturm-Liouville theory, orthogonality, Fourier, Bessel, and Legendre series, spherical harmonics.
I've taken the standard calc, ODE, statistics, and mathematical methods. I haven't had a formal linear algebra course though I've gotten some exposure in my other courses. I've had little exposure to solving PDEs so I'm leaning towards applied analysis. What do you guys think is the more essential math course for a physics major?

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly did you do in your "mathematical methods" course? Shouldn't you have covered linear algebra/matrices and special functions in such a course?

Zz.

I think you'll have to bite the bullet and take both courses eventually.

ZapperZ said:
What exactly did you do in your "mathematical methods" course? Shouldn't you have covered linear algebra/matrices and special functions in such a course?

Zz.

Complex analysis, ODE review, Fourier transforms/series, vector analysis, and some tensor analysis. We did not cover special functions. We covered eigen value problems related to diagnalizing matrices but not much outside of that. I feel like I got a bit gyped in that class actually...

I would highly recommend taking both the Math elective for physics on Matrix Theory and the Applied Analysis course. Both of these courses cover important mathematical concepts and techniques that are essential for a physics major.

The Matrix Theory course will provide you with a strong foundation in linear algebra, which is crucial for understanding many advanced topics in physics such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetism. The course will cover topics such as determinants, vector spaces, and linear transformations, which are fundamental concepts in modern physics. Additionally, the course will introduce you to writing proofs, which is an important skill in the scientific community.

The Applied Analysis course will focus on solving partial differential equations, which are widely used in many areas of physics. This course will teach you important techniques such as separation of variables and transform methods, which are essential for solving PDEs in physics. Moreover, the course will cover topics such as Fourier and Laplace transforms, which are powerful tools for analyzing physical systems.

Overall, both of these courses are highly relevant and essential for a physics major. I would recommend taking both if possible, as they will provide you with a strong mathematical background that will be valuable in your future studies and research in physics.

Related to Which Math Course is More Essential for a Physics Major?

1. What is a math elective for physics?

A math elective for physics is a math course that is specifically chosen to complement and enhance the understanding of physics concepts. It is typically a higher level math course that focuses on topics such as calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and complex analysis.

2. Why is a math elective important for studying physics?

A math elective is important for studying physics because it provides the necessary mathematical tools to solve complex problems and understand the underlying principles of physics. Many physics concepts and equations are based on mathematical principles, so a strong foundation in math is crucial for success in studying physics.

3. What are some examples of math electives for physics?

Some examples of math electives for physics include Calculus III, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Complex Analysis, and Multivariable Calculus. Other courses such as Probability and Statistics, Numerical Methods, and Partial Differential Equations can also be beneficial for studying physics.

4. How do I choose the right math elective for my physics studies?

The best way to choose a math elective for physics is to consult with your academic advisor or a physics professor. They can provide guidance on which courses will best complement your physics studies and align with your academic and career goals. It is also important to consider your strengths and interests in math when selecting a course.

5. Can I take a math elective for physics without a strong math background?

It is not recommended to take a math elective for physics without a strong math background. These courses are typically at a higher level and require a solid foundation in basic math concepts. It is important to have a good understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus before enrolling in a math elective for physics.