Which mathematical objects are more common in nature?

In summary, the conversation discusses the most common mathematical objects found in nature and their prevalence in natural phenomena. Some examples include circles and triangles for shape, sine and cosine functions for periodicity, and the Golden Ratio for its unique properties. There is also a debate about the accuracy of the Golden Ratio in nature and the role of fractals and logarithms in natural phenomena. The conversation concludes by noting the complexity and diversity of shapes found in nature, with a tendency towards non-ideal and imperfect forms.
PainterGuy
Mod note: Moved from Precalc Homework, as this seems to be a more general question.
Hi,

Which mathematical objects (numbers, functions, figures, etc) are more common in nature? I mean the mathematical objects which could more easily be identified with nature. For example, circles and triangles are most common mathematical figures (or, objects) which could be found in nature. Likewise, sine and cosine functions are really common in nature because many natural phenomena are periodic. Golden ratio is another number which is quite common in nature (but not as common as presented in so many fabricated examples) for its own reasons just like Euler's number, e. Thank you for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Fractals

Likes jim mcnamara, Asymptotic, QuantumQuest and 1 other person
Even logarithms are very common in nature: for example the sound level is measured by logarithms (bel and decibel), sometimes the variation of the concentration in a chemical reaction is also logarithm :## \ln{\frac{[A]}{[A_{0}]}}=-kt## where ##[A_{0}]## is the initial concentration, the rapidly growing exponential growth phase of a cell culture is sometimes called logarithmic growth, because you use the logarithmic scale, in thermodynamics they are used to determine the work of particular transformations ... , exponential and logarithms are very common in nature ...
Ssnow

Likes QuantumQuest and PainterGuy
Thank you for your help.

But in my humble opinion I don't think that fractals and logarithms are as common as circle, triangle, sine, and cosine because these are some of those mathematical objects which really define the connection of mathematics with physical world. There is no doubt that almost all of mathematics is a way to encode and quantify physical world in a defined manner but mathematical objects like circle, triangle, sine, cosine are really a part of alphabet for that encoding. Thank you.

You are really asking about how humans measure objects in nature. That depends on what we are interested in. But some mathematical facts offer profound insight into nature.
For instance, a function in time (or space) can be represented by a combination of frequencies. Something like a step function actually can be considered as a combination of frequencies. That should give you additional insight into why cyclic behavior is so common in nature.
Also, the Golden Ratio is much more common than you imply, but it does not occur with perfect accuracy that often in nature. You may be interested in this series of 3 videos on Fibonacci numbers and the Golden Ratio in nature:

Likes Asymptotic and PainterGuy
PainterGuy said:
But in my humble opinion I don't think that fractals and logarithms are as common as circle

Note that a circle or a line segment are simply fractals with Hausdorff dimension ##=1##.
Ssnow

Likes Asymptotic and PainterGuy
Well, basically it is already have been said (sine and cosine functions), I just say all the functions that satisfy the homogeneous or inhomogeneous wave equation, because many quantities of nature like temperature or pressure or electromagnetic fields and even gravity field propagate as waves in space time with finite speed. Many of the wave phenomena can be identified with our senses, like water waves or sound waves or the colours in nature (EM/optical waves).

Wave functions are used in Quantum Mechanics as well but ok it is still an open debate whether the quantum mechanical wave function is something real.

Likes PainterGuy
Planetary orbits follow an elliptical path. Radioactive decay is exponential. Projectile motion pretty much follows a parabola, depending on air effects.
There are hexagons and cubes (and some other shapes) in crystal lattices. How do we determine which of these are "more common" than others?

Likes Asymptotic, PainterGuy, QuantumQuest and 2 others
Superposition and proportionality (addition and multiplication) are ubiquitous in nature. As one would expect from a 1st order expansion using a Taylor series.

Likes Asymptotic, PainterGuy and QuantumQuest
jbriggs444 said:
Superposition and proportionality (addition and multiplication) are ubiquitous in nature. As one would expect from a 1st order expansion using a Taylor series.
I guess everything can be described with enough Sines and Cosines, if you consider Fourier series. :smile:

Likes PainterGuy
Thank you, everyone!

FactChecker said:
Also, the Golden Ratio is much more common than you imply, but it does not occur with perfect accuracy that often in nature.

I do agree that the Golden Ratio is very much common in nature but still not as much common as it is shown to be.

PainterGuy said:
Which mathematical objects (numbers, functions, figures, etc) are more common in nature? I mean the mathematical objects which could more easily be identified with nature. For example, circles and triangles are most common mathematical figures (or, objects) which could be found in nature. Likewise, sine and cosine functions are really common in nature because many natural phenomena are periodic.

PainterGuy said:
Thank you for your help.
But in my humble opinion I don't think that fractals and logarithms are as common as circle, triangle, sine, and cosine because these are some of those mathematical objects which really define the connection of mathematics with physical world. There is no doubt that almost all of mathematics is a way to encode and quantify physical world in a defined manner but mathematical objects like circle, triangle, sine, cosine are really a part of alphabet for that encoding. Thank you.

In my contrarian opinion, geometry in the natural world I'm familiar with doesn't deal in ideal triangles, circles and spheres, but is a rather more convoluted affair. While walking down a creek in summer, the rocks under my feet have shapes as diverse as the snowflakes that fell upon these waters in winters past, with not one exactly the same as another. Straight lines aren't for stream beds; if one runs much further than a cobble's throw perfectly plumb and square it's a ditch or a canal that you've got there. It is as though nature abhors pure platonic shapes, and tweaks them to suit her fancy.

Related to Which mathematical objects are more common in nature?

1. What are some examples of mathematical objects found in nature?

Some examples of mathematical objects found in nature include Fibonacci sequences in the arrangement of plant leaves, the Golden Ratio in the proportions of seashells and sunflower seeds, and fractal patterns in snowflakes and coastlines.

2. Why do we see mathematical patterns in nature?

Mathematical patterns in nature are a result of the underlying principles and laws that govern the physical world. These patterns and structures are often the most efficient and optimal solutions to biological and physical processes.

3. How do scientists use mathematics to study natural phenomena?

Scientists use mathematical models and equations to describe and predict natural phenomena. These models allow for a deeper understanding of complex systems and can help identify patterns and relationships in nature.

4. Are there any mathematical objects unique to nature?

While many mathematical concepts can be found in nature, there are also some unique mathematical objects that have been discovered through studying natural phenomena. For example, the Apollonian gasket, a fractal pattern found in the arrangement of circles, was first observed in nature before being mathematically described.

5. How does the study of mathematical objects in nature contribute to scientific advancements?

The study of mathematical objects in nature has led to numerous scientific advancements in various fields. For example, understanding fractal patterns in nature has helped with the design of efficient computer algorithms and the development of new materials. Additionally, the application of mathematical concepts in biology has led to breakthroughs in fields such as genetics and ecology.