Which Mathematics Books are Essential for Studying Physics?

In summary, a high school student is planning to study physics in college and wants to improve their math skills beforehand. They have access to two books, Introduction to Mathematics in Physics by Glenn Fletcher and Mathematical Techniques: An Introduction for the Engineering, Physical, and Mathematical Sciences by Jordan and Smith, and are looking for recommendations on which one to use. Both books cover standard material, such as calculus and multivariable calculus, which are important for classical physics. Additionally, the books also cover topics relevant to quantum mechanics, such as vector spaces and eigenvalues. It is suggested to use both books as they may explain concepts differently.
ItsImpulse
Hey there PF, I'm currently a high school student and I'm planning to do physics in college when I get there. However, I want to get my math up to scratch before I go deeper into it. I do have undergraduate level texts for physics but not for mathematics. I have managed to borrow 2 books, Introduction to Mathematics in Physics by Glenn Fletcher and Mathematical Techniques: An Introduction for the Engineering, Physical, and Mathematical Sciences by Jordan and Smith. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these books and could suggest which to use. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't read either, but looked through the table of contents for Jordan and Smith on Amazon, and it looks great. Probably Fletcher's book is good too, since the material is pretty standard. You could use both. Sometimes one text explains it better for you than another. As an example of how standard the material is, you can also look at Nearing's free text http://www.physics.miami.edu/~nearing/mathmethods/.

Apart from basic calculus, the most important things in multivariable calculus for classical physics are the change of variables formula involving the Jacobian, and the divergence theorem and Stokes's theorem. For quantum mechanics, the most important thing is the formal definition of a vector space, the inner product, and the eigenvalue of an operator.

Likes quantumtimeleap

FAQ: Which Mathematics Books are Essential for Studying Physics?

1. What is the purpose of having mathematics books for physics?

The purpose of having mathematics books for physics is to provide a deeper understanding of the mathematical concepts that are used in the field of physics. These books cover topics such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra, which are essential for understanding the laws and principles of physics.

2. Are these books only for advanced students?

No, mathematics books for physics are suitable for students at all levels. They are designed to help students of all levels grasp the fundamental mathematical concepts that are used in physics. These books often include various examples and exercises to cater to students with different levels of understanding.

3. Can these books be used as a substitute for a math textbook?

No, these books are meant to supplement a student's understanding of math in the context of physics. While they may cover some topics that are also found in a math textbook, their focus is on how these concepts are applied in physics problems.

4. Do these books cover all the math needed for physics?

No, these books typically cover the math that is commonly used in introductory physics courses. However, as students progress to more advanced topics in physics, they may need to refer to more specialized math books for a deeper understanding.

5. Are there any interactive elements in these books?

Many mathematics books for physics now include online resources, such as interactive simulations and practice problems, to enhance the learning experience. However, the core content of these books is usually presented in a traditional text format.