Which No-Fee Credit Card Offers the Best Perks?

• Thread starter Topher925
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Credit card
In summary, a credit card through the same bank or credit union where you have your bank accounts will usually offer the best deals, although the interest rate is not as important as the perks or discounts offered.
Topher925
I currently have an AmEx blue cash credit card and wondering if there's anything out there that's better. While ~1% cash back at the end of the year is nice, I feel like I'm missing out. I was thinking about getting an Amazon Rewards Visa but not sure exactly how much their "points" are worth.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/cobrandcard/marketing.html&tag=pfamazon01-20

Anyone found a good card that they would like to share? My only constraints are no annual fee and full fraud and theft protection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I always get airline cards. I have a Delta AmEx that banked me 30k miles and 1.25 miles per $. I also got a British Airways Visa. I pretty much put everything I can on the BA card. BA also sends me a ton of special offers. Love it!

GO TO YOUR LOCAL CREDIT UNION! Remember these are non-profit organizations and aren't out to gouge you to death. I dumped my stupid credit card with citibank that had 22% interest (yes I have good credit) and got one through a credit union for 7.9% interest, no fees. Credit unions use all of the money that they make and return it to you the consumer in the form of things like lower interest rates. Big banks HATE credit unions and have been trying to destroy them for years because they heavily favor the consumer over profits. Support your local credit union.

I could really care less about the interest rate. I always pay my bill off in full every month and have never spent a penny to use a card. What I do care about are the perks. I do fly often but its always picked up by my uni and never by me. Maybe when I graduate (like that will ever happen) I'll get one of those airline cards but right now I'm looking for either cash back, perks, or discounts.

I'd just suggest getting a credit card through the same bank or credit union where you have your bank accounts. Or at least start by looking at their offerings. If you use multiple services from the same bank they'll often give you better offers, e.g. no-fee credit cards, than just some random person off the street.

I would absolutely never consider a credit card offered by a company like an airline or Amazon. As far as I'm concerned the airlines etc. have no business touching my finances. Besides, I don't particularly want to put in the time to figure out what the catch is that compensates for those "perks" they offer.

No annual fee and full fraud/theft protection sounds like a perfectly reasonable set of constraints though :wink:

diazona said:
I would absolutely never consider a credit card offered by a company like an airline or Amazon. As far as I'm concerned the airlines etc. have no business touching my finances.

I don't think the airlines touch the finances. For example, my BA card is through Chase bank. I just get miles for each dollar I spend.

The airline is just like best buy or sears or amazon.com. The actual financing is done through the bank (such as HSBC or BofA... not that I know whether or not the latter even does that stuff). The retailer just is there to have offers like discounts or special deals or miles or whatever.

Topher925 said:
I could really care less about the interest rate. I always pay my bill off in full every month and have never spent a penny to use a card. What I do care about are the perks. I do fly often but its always picked up by my uni and never by me. Maybe when I graduate (like that will ever happen) I'll get one of those airline cards but right now I'm looking for either cash back, perks, or discounts.

Many banks are going to start charging yearly/monthly fees to customers who pay on time all of the time because of the new legislation that was recently passed that is going to cut into their profits. The banks aren't dumb, they know you are borrowing their money for free and they don't like you (or me since I do the same).

And you should care about interest rate. You never know if you'll need quick access to credit in case of an emergency like a hospital bill, home repair, to having to fix the trannny on our car.

Related to Which No-Fee Credit Card Offers the Best Perks?

1. What should I look for in a credit card?

When looking for a better credit card, there are a few key factors to consider. First, look at the interest rate or APR. A lower APR means you will pay less in interest on any balances you carry. Next, consider the rewards or benefits offered. Some cards offer cashback, travel points, or other perks. You should also check for any annual fees or hidden fees that may apply. Lastly, make sure the credit card is accepted at most places you shop.

2. How do I improve my chances of getting approved for a better credit card?

To improve your chances of getting approved for a better credit card, you should start by checking your credit score. A higher credit score indicates to lenders that you are a responsible borrower. You can also work on paying off any outstanding debts and reducing your credit utilization ratio. Additionally, having a stable income and a good payment history can also increase your chances of approval.

3. What is the difference between a credit card and a debit card?

A credit card allows you to borrow money from the issuer to make purchases, while a debit card is linked to your bank account and uses the money you already have. When you use a credit card, you are essentially taking out a loan that you will need to pay back, usually with interest. Debit cards do not involve any borrowing and do not accrue interest. Additionally, credit cards can help you build credit, while debit cards do not impact your credit score.

4. Should I have multiple credit cards?

Having multiple credit cards can be beneficial for some people, but it ultimately depends on your financial habits and responsibility. If you are able to manage multiple cards and pay off balances in full each month, you may benefit from having different cards for different expenses (e.g. one for travel, one for groceries). However, having too many cards can also lead to overspending and make it difficult to keep track of payments and due dates. It's important to assess your own financial habits and needs before deciding to open multiple credit cards.

5. How often should I review and compare credit card options?

It's a good idea to review and compare credit card options at least once a year. This will ensure that you are aware of any changes to your current card's terms and conditions, as well as any new credit cards that may offer better benefits or rates. Additionally, if your financial situation or spending habits have changed, it may be beneficial to review and compare options sooner to find a credit card that better suits your needs.